Oh, Taylor Swift, How Your Songs Entertain Me

We just wish that the life we live was Ours.

121
Wikimedia

Oh Taylor Swift, how your songs entertain me. You write the stories that some people wish they could live. But you also write the stories of people with broken hearts, girls who claim they will be single forever, and boys who don't think they will ever find that beautiful one to settle their heart.

I still remember the first time I heard Love Story. You were all of about sixteen when you wrote it, talking about eternal love, talking about the perfect boy who comes and claims your heart, kisses you on the doorstep, holds your hand when he takes you to prom, and makes you happy forever.

Until he rode off with some other girl on that White Horse and never came back. Leaving you to cry about the End Game. And to contemplate life alone, reality TV stories, lyrics of a love gone bad, and heartbreak that nobody should have to suffer in a lifetime.

I still can hear you singing on the radio today, talking about your Wildest Dreams. Does this involve one of the Jonas Brothers, or does it involve Ed Sheeran, both of whom aren't even around? Or does it involve the latest love that you've found in your days that the tabloids write about? Oh the things people have said about you. The stories they've told about you.

Even Katy Perry got involved, and that argument sure wasn't singing about her Teenage Dream. It was you singing We Are Never Ever Ever Ever Getting Back Together.

Oh, that's right. Wasn't that about John Mayer? When he ran off with another girl you had to read about as you were singing Welcome To New York?

I know. You didn't mean it that way. You really wanted the world to know that you were in Style. But all we could hear ringing in our ears was you complaining about Bad Blood. And who was that about? Or how many people was that song about? I'm sure you could compile quite the list of people that you'd want to call out in that single song title. All the enemies you've mad, the lousy guys you've dated, and the relationships that have come to an end.

But instead, you just put a smile on your face, and you act like you're living in a State of Grace. Oh the joy we get from listening to your songs. Oh the pleasure we take from when you sing those wonderful lyrics, talking about the Sad Beautiful Tragic Life you've led. All the while making somewhere in the range of 250 million dollars, touring the world time and time again, selling out huge football stadiums and arenas.

But you really sit back and want us to hear you sigh and sing about all of those times that you Should Have Said No. Do you remember that song? Who was that about? And who should you have said no to? Was it someone that the tabloids talked about? Was it another one of those teenage fluff singers that was here today and gone tomorrow?

Or are you sitting back somewhere, smiling all the way, looking at your bank account balance, knowing that truly, you are Safe And Sound?

Oh Taylor. How you've entertained us. You've told us stories. You've sang songs that we can mostly relate to. You've said things that we wanted to say but didn't know how. You've put reality TV into lyrics of songs. And you've written song titles that so perfectly describe the lives of so many people on social media.

Isn't that what you mean every time you sing Speak Now? You're talking to us Taylor. You're telling us what we should do. You're singing songs about life, and you're helping us face life through the words of your songs, and the music behind the titles.

Or are we just not yet Out Of The Woods, because we're sitting here, listening to your music on Spotify, that streaming service that you swore was ripping off artists. And making all that money that you couldn't make. But why? Were you angry? Were you sitting somewhere, yelling at your computer screen? Looking at a Picture To Burn of some love gone bad?

I know Taylor. It's okay. We all want our Superman. We want that hero to step into the picture and save our life. We want that special person to come claim our heart, bring happiness into our lives, and sweep us off our feet. Isn't that what happens on New Years Day? Didn't you write a song about picking up bottles, and sharing all of that wonderful time with that person that you want to spend forever with?

Oh Taylor. You're such an amazing person. You can sit down, write song lyrics that speak to all of us, and title the songs that make us realize how imperfect and boring our life really is. But we in the world love you. We worship you. We buy millions of your albums. We continue to make you rich. And we continue to idolize the things you do, the words you say, and the life you live.

We just wish that the life you live was Ours.

I am so inspired by your career, your words and your songs, that I sit here, shake my head, write this story, and say Oh Taylor, Look What You Made Me Do. It's all thanks to you.

I'm not sure who the person behind the story is when you wrote King Of My Heart. Was it some heartthrob who was posted all over some tabloid magazine? Was it some singer in a rock band? Or do you sit there, reading the news, and singing, "Oh, If This Was A Movie" and try to figure out what you'd title it.

Taylor, you write songs singing that you are Fearless, you sing about when you were Fifteen, and you even sang about someone named Stephen. Who is, or was, Stephen? Was he Haunted, or did he look at you with a smile on his face and his Eyes Open?

You can Call It What You Want, but fans are Breathless when your concert tickets go on sale, they are Dancing With Their Hands Tied when a new album of your songs comes out, and they know life can Begin Again when they hear a new story all about your wonderful life.

Taylor, all you have to do is Breathe, because don't you know?

You always have a Place In This World.