Want Your Video Featured On Odyssey? Here's Everything You Need To Know

Submit your video clip today!
841

For years, Odyssey has been a destination for people who want to express themselves in written word. Well, guess what? Odyssey video is coming soon as a new way for Creators to tell their story.

But we need your help first.

Between May 30 and June 15, Odyssey is collecting initial video submissions from current Creators, Odyssey readers, and anyone in their personal networks who wants to participate.

We’re looking for simple video responses to prompts that you will see on our site. No fancy equipment required –– your smartphone will do just fine.

After we’ve collected enough video, we’ll then sift through all of the submissions and use the most compelling clips to create video compilations of our audience and their responses.

Be sure to see our tips for creating video before you upload your clip(s)!

Here are our first three prompts help give your video some direction.

If I Were President For A Day, I Would...

Imagine you are sworn in as President of The United States of America today. Where would you start? Here are some points you can use to direct your 1-minute video clip.

1. Where do you fall on the political spectrum? To the left, to the right, or somewhere in between?

2. How do you feel about the current state of our government?

3. What is the single most important national issue to you and why are you passionate about this?

4. What is your solution to this problem?

5. Who would play you as president in a skit on "Saturday Night Live"?

6. Anything else you want to tell us?

My Definition Of Cheating Is...

Keeping a healthy relationship in 2018 is quite the challenge, to say the least. With so many ways to meet and interact with people online, everyone has their own definition of "cheating." What's yours? Here are some points you can use to direct your 1-minute video clip.

1. In one sentence define “cheating.”

2. According to you, which of the following actions constitutes cheating: A) liking photos on social media, B) sending Snapchats (G-rated or X-rated), C) sliding into the DMs, D) flirting, E) complimenting someone on their looks, F) staring or glancing at someone you're attracted to, G) hugging, H) kissing, or I) sleeping with someone else?

3. Are there any acts of cheating that wouldn't be a dealbreaker for you? Explain.

4. Talk about your experience with cheating, if any. It can be based on your personal experience or the experience of your “friend.”

5. Does social media play a part in today’s dating culture? If so, how?

6. Did Ross cheat on Rachel when they were "on a break"?

I Remember My First...

Everyone has “firsts” in life, and college is filled with them. We want to know all about your most interesting, hilarious or bizarre "firsts" you experience in college.

For instance: first college party, first hookup, first failed class/exam, first football game or tailgate, first roommate, the list goes on...

If you had an interesting "first" from your college years, we want to hear about it!

If you have a video clip ready for any one of these three prompts, you can submit it here.

Tips for lighting, sound, and filming

1. Phones and computers are great but be mindful of your background (i.e. a plain white wall is not very interesting). Be creative with the background and look for some “texture.”

2. Lighting is important. Make sure you are not “backlit” like sitting in front of an open window or door. It’s always best to have even lighting from above or in front of you.

3. When pressing record, always wait a second or two and vice versa on the end. Videos can easily be trimmed. Let your content play out.

4. For sound, be mindful of background noises like cars, fans, and even the wind. It’s always a good idea to shoot a test video and play it back to see how it sounds.

5. Avoid logos on shirts, hats, walls etc. It’s best to wear solid colors or try to minimize patterns.

6. If you are filming using a smartphone, make sure you record it horizontally!

How to craft a great response

1. When responding to a prompt, make sure to repeat the question before you answer (ie. if the question is “Do you think liking someone else’s Instagram posts are considered cheating” your answer should be “If I catch my girlfriend liking someone else’s Instagram posts, I think that is…”)

2. Make sure to try and reduce the use of words like “um” or “ah’ or “like” This will help with editing

3. Looking directly at the camera is always preferred. If you are uncomfortable doing this, have a friend shoot the video and have them stand on either side of the phone. You should look at them when responding and try not to look around too much

4. Above all, be yourself. Try to respond as if you’re just talking to someone close to you and don’t try to respond the way you “think” you’re supposed to respond. Just speak from the heart.