Odyssey Is For Sharing Our Thoughts And Concerns, Not Grown Men Catfishing As College Girls

Did he really just make a clickbait article to attack other clickbait writers?

139

I'm so surprised that no one is talking about this. I only learned about it because my boyfriend, who's also a writer for Odyssey, sent me the screenshot of the BuzzFeed article and typed "mood" under it. Honestly, I was lowkey pissed.

I remember reading that exact article and thinking, "This is the crap that people are reading? This is viral?"

For all you who have no idea what I'm talking about, because you're too wrapped up in the Drake and Pusha T beef that's going on, there was a post that went viral on Odyssey about a month ago. In the post, a creator supposedly named "Kaycie Allen" spoke about how she is tired of being bullied by her peers because her parents paid for her Coachella ticket.

Or so we thought.

Turns out, "Kaycie Allen from Syracuse University" is actually 28-year-old Chris Spies from Los Angeles, who took interest in Odyssey after the "You May Have Worn the Prom Dress With Him, But I Get To Wear The Wedding Dress" post went viral.

Now, the reason why Chris said he had catfished all of us is because he was upset about how Odyssey was running things. He hated the constant "clickbait" and the attention to articles that really don't deserve it. In the article, he described how he created a fake email and Twitter for his "alter ego," Kaycie, and how he accepted the position as an Odyssey creator at the University of Syracuse community.

Now, I agree with Chris a little. I do think the way Odyssey does certain things is pretty messed up, and quite frankly, it's not fair. I see amazing articles all the time — by my own friends in the Odyssey community and by my peers in the Rutgers community — yet, it seems as though only a few people are reading them every week. Meanwhile, other brainless articles are getting read by millions of people, and yet they don't matter at all? Whatever happened to writing about things that actually matter in this world and not just, "5 ways to get a hot summer body like MINE"?

And don't get me wrong, there are a lot of articles on Odyssey that do exactly that. They talk about real life issues that are going on in our society and give their honest opinion on it. However, most of the time, it seems as though they're put on the back burner right after another controversial and useless article goes viral because of clickbait.

So yes, I agree with what Chris did, but at the same time... he's doing the same thing he's upset about. After I read the BuzzFeed article, I really sat there and asked myself, "Did he really just make a clickbait article to attack other clickbait writers?" It makes absolutely no sense to me, but I understand where he's coming from. There was honestly no point in catfishing an entire Odyssey community just to get your message out there.

Honestly, Chris said we all believed it because we wanted to believe it, but the reality is, there really are a bunch of articles like this that go viral every week. His fake article is no exception to this. It was really something like a sick, twisted joke to him more than it was a statement piece. He didn't want to prove a point, he just wanted his five seconds of fame. It's pathetic and it messed up the whole vibe of the community.

Even though I do have a problem with how Odyssey works sometimes, I have to admit that it's opened my eyes to so many other perspectives across the United States. I love reading all of the articles that my peers in the Rutgers community put up and I love supporting them and sending their articles to my family members and friends. Even though Odyssey can be a little... "interesting" (to say the least) sometimes, I'm still extremely proud to be a content creator for it. We write because we want a huge platform to share our thoughts, ideas, and concerns.

Odyssey isn't for catfishing, it's for doing what makes you happy.