The Odyssey Online Is More Than 'Misinformed' Creators

The Odyssey Online Is More Than 'Misinformed' Content Creators

Dear The Spectator, with this one article you prove that you're no "better" than us.

109

Recently I read an article from "The Spectator" that bashed pretty much every The Odyssey Online content creator by calling us "misinformed," "unoriginal" and "pointless." The title of this article is "An open letter to The Odyssey Online," in case you would like to reference it. Aw, what an original title.

Well, I have some news for you, Sami. By writing this article, you show all of us here at The Odyssey Online that you're just. like. us. Possibly even worse. And I have a recommendation for you -- get off your high horse.

I've written a variety of articles with The Odyssey Online for over a year, and none of the articles I have written were "misinformed and privileged" like you seem to believe our writers and articles are. In fact, I've written many articles on important topics such as, "Flint, Michigan Is More Than Just A Water Crisis", "Trump Attacks Environmental Regulations: What It Means For You And Me" and "The #MeToo Movement Is Important, But Overlooks The Root Of The Problem". When I write articles like these, I always do my research, despite what you suggest explicitly in your article, and I always "make sure [I] understand sometimes difficult-to-understand topics like politics before [I] write about them." Despite what you may believe. I'm a graduate student, sis, I'm not ignorant.

Sure, I write fun articles too -- because guess what, they're fun to write and people love them -- but that isn't the main type of content I create. Not every content creator here only writes silly articles.

I'm not the only writer here who writes about important topics at The Odyssey Online either, and just because someone has different views from you that doesn't mean they're misinformed and privileged. It means you have different opinions and perspectives -- and that's OK!

I will give you credit for one section of your "journalistic article," however, and that's where you acknowledge that The Odyssey Online is a "social content platform that discovers and shares a chorus of millennial voices." It's essentially a blog where student writers are able to share any kind of content we desire. It's a way to get our voice out there without strict limitations that many other sites may have. But that doesn't make it wrong, and since you obviously know this, I'm confused as to why you think we even suggest that we are a news source? In the simplest terms, it's a platform for writers in college to share their opinions and personal experiences with the world. We don't even call ourselves journalists -- we are "content creators."

Furthermore, your article is also essentially an opinion piece exactly like the kinds we write here at The Odyssey Online. You state, "journalism is not taking your life and opinions and stating them without any outside evidence or interaction with others" yet that's kind of what you do here.

Finally, if people didn't "relate" to our articles, or "not care" about what we have to say, then I promise you our content wouldn't go viral with hundreds of thousands of views. But, guess what, they do. I'm sorry that you're bitter about this, but next time you decide to bash every The Odyssey Online content creator in your silly rants, I suggest you get your facts straight first.

And with that, my rant is over.