An Ode To "This is Us"

An Ode To "This is Us"

Thank you for redefining television
28

Life is constantly changing. There are few things that remain constant, even in a life that has only been used for 19 years. Friends change, favorite subjects in school change, favorite colors change, interests change, even family dynamics can change.

However, in my life, there has been one thing that has held true for as long as I can remember: a love of TV.

Yes, there are plenty of people who likely can identify with this. But ask anyone of my friends, my love for TV often surpasses what one would deem "normal". Rather than simply liking Grey's Anatomy, I decided to take an anatomy course in high school, despite detesting science as a whole, because I wanted to become a surgeon, just like them.

And instead of passively watching Wizards of Waverly Place as any normal tween would, I created an entire alternate universe in which my best friend and I were secret wizards who traveled seamlessly between the "normal" world and our own "wizard" world.

But something else is clearly just as constant as my (often psychotic) passion for television--watching these shows made me long to be someone or something that I'm not. Hannah Montana made me wish I was living a celebrity double life, Scandal makes me want to pursue a career in political fixing, and Dance Moms made me wish my mother shoved me into slightly-abusive dance lessons as an infant.

But this is before I came across This is Us. A show so beautiful that my unqualified opinion would classify as nothing short of genius. It makes me laugh, it makes me mad, it makes me smile, and it makes me cry--A LOT. But, this is nothing new. It is typical that TV shows make me sob in a similar fashion to how I would imagine I would if I watched my entire family get massacred.

What is different about This is Us is its mundane nature.

It doesn't feature fancy neurosurgeons, or wizards, or secret pop-stars. It is about a family. The trials and tribulations that their family goes through don't make me wish I was them--and not because I don't admire them--but because I already have experienced something similar. I don't envy Randall as he tours colleges, because I have been there. Kevin's determination and passion for football reminds me of my own dedication to track. And Kate's body image struggles are no stranger to anyone.

The title of the show is exactly accurate--this is US. And this "us" goes farther than just the Pearson family--"us" includes the viewers. It documents everyday life in a way that we all can identify with.

The show doesn't make us wish we were something else, because we've already been there. Rather than anything fancy, it highlights something we can all identify with--just how beautiful the simple act of living can be.

It isn't flashy or magical, but it is pure. It is real. It is us.