AOC Green New Deal Flaws

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal Is Flawed And Unrealistic

Socialism strategically packaged as "saving the earth".

299
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwv0ZOFhSof/

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal has been met with cynicism and critique from both the Democrats and Republicans. Some claim her proposal is the only solution to climate change, while others call it "fantasyland" and are extremely skeptical of the Green New Deal (GND) and Ocasio-Cortez's intentions.

I would like to preface by saying I am not a climate change skeptic. I believe climate change is a real and serious problem, but some politicians are blowing it out of proportion to further their own political agenda.

The first problem with the Green New Deal (GND) is the cost. It's estimated at about 93 trillion dollars in the first 10 years alone; it is also estimated that the GND would cost $600,000 per household. Experts claim it will "spend the US into oblivion" and "shock the energy sector."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is definitely ambitious and brings fresh ideas to the table, however, the Green New Deal would lead America into the dark reality of socialism, which is an economic system that has never worked in the past.

Socialist countries include the Soviet Union, Cuba, Venezuela, Ethiopia and North Korea. Life in Venezuela is the perfect example of the reality of socialism; citizens have little to no economic freedom, the inflation rate is approaching 700%, and the capital city Caracas has the highest murder rate in the world.

The Green New Deal is socialism disguised as progressive legislation. Socialism eliminates incentives, which goes against basic human nature. People have no incentive to get a job or start a business if they get universal free income, free healthcare, free housing, free college, and free healthy food (yes, these are all part of AOC's GND). Vladimir Lenin once said, "The goal of socialism is communism."'

According to the Foundation for Economic Education, "[Socialism] promised prosperity, equality, and security, it delivered poverty, misery, and tyranny. Equality was achieved only in the sense that everyone was equal in his or her misery."

The Green New Deal grants economic security for all, including those unwilling to work; that means someone who sits on the couch all day watching TV can reap the benefits of Americans working 40 hour work weeks to provide for their family.

Without incentive, innovation will reduce drastically. This is counterintuitive because the real solution to climate change is innovation. Under capitalism, there has been many innovations that have alleviated the situation of the environment. For example, a company in British Columbia called Carbon Engineering utilizes Direct Air Capture, which is a complex process to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. One of their plants does the work of 40 million trees.

Some of the proposals in the GND are unrealistic. AOC proposes the idea of upgrading or replacing ALL buildings in the United States to meet certain energy efficiency standards. She also claims to "build out highspeed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary."

The Green New Deal could potentially wipe out 10.3 million Oil & Gas jobs, 600K aviation jobs, 1.4 million hydro jobs, 100,000 nuclear jobs, and 50,000 coal jobs.

SEE ALSO: I Am Pro-Life, And I Am Tired Of Being Attacked For My Opinion

Another concern is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's hypocrisy. According to The New York Post, she listed 1,049 transactions for Uber, Lyft, Juno and other car services, despite the fact that her campaign offices are located a mere 138 feet from a subway station. She wants to drastically change every aspect of the American's lifestyle, yet she cannot live the "green lifestyle" herself.

Animal Farm, a book by George Orwell, is a world-renowned allegory which used animals on a farm to convey the message of the dangers of a authoritarian government. Ben Shapiro connects the dots between hypocrisy seen in the actions of socialists with the actions of the pigs in "Animal Farm" (the leaders of the farm after the revolution). The pigs would create rules, but they would never follow the rules.

For example, they would discourage other animals from eating too much, but they themselves would eat huge amounts of milk and apples. When questioned about their actions, they would turn the tables.

The following is a direct quote from Animal Farm.

"'Comrades!' he cried. 'You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege? Many of us actually dislike milk and apples. I dislike them myself. Our sole object in taking these things is to preserve our health. Milk and apples (this has been proved by Science, comrades) contain substances absolutely necessary to the well-being of a pig. We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organization of this farm depend on us. Day and night we are watching over your welfare. It is for YOUR sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples.'"

Regardless of my stance on the Green New Deal, I believe climate change is something we should all be working together to solve. Incentivizing companies to invest in renewable energy, incentivizing innovation in the field of climate science, along with some of AOC's non-socialist proposals should be taken into consideration. I believe Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal is flawed and unrealistic, however, it is a step in the right direction toward a greener future.