9 Things Every Girl Who Interns In NYC Should Know

Don't let the Big Apple throw off your work game.

25
Instagram

Ten weeks ago I packed my life essentials into two heavy, overweight suitcases and hopped on a plane from North Carolina to New York City, where I would spend the rest of my summer living as a native New Yorker.

Four days a week I woke up, made the subway commute to 23rd street and worked as a Public Relations Intern for a dual-coastal jewelry public relations firm. Ever since I can remember, fashion has always been the passion and New York City has been the dream city; it was no brainer that I would be spending my summer living the dream.

My time walking the streets, eating the food and embracing life as a New Yorker has been nothing short of a blessing.

As scary as it can be to delve into a new city, new job, and new surroundings, it can also lead to some great adventures and new opportunities. I learned so much about my future industry, my dream city and most importantly, myself.

1. The subway isn’t as scary or hard as people think.

Without a doubt, my biggest worry before coming to NYC was how the hell am I going to be able to figure out the damn subway—especially while on the job! Within my first two weeks at work I became a self-declared subway expert. Once you get down the basics—uptown/downtown and knowing where the stations are—finding your stop is a breeze! GoogleMaps is my go-to navigation tool and quick directional guide. Soon enough you’ll be dreaming about the subway line stops in no time!

2. Subway delays are a bitch.

Lucky enough, I didn’t have too many problems with my morning or evening commute. But, there are constantly problems on the subway—track fires, delayed trains, closed stops—which cause a whole bunch of people cramped and sweaty waiting on the tracks for their train that is five minutes late. It’s so important to account for any potential delays while leaving for your commute—early bird always gets the worm!

3. Know when and where to save and spend.

Living in one of the most expensive cities is definitely a money-drainer and can be such a buzz kill! It’s easy to get caught up in silly little purchases that quickly start to add up. Don’t spend your money on the little things like a bottle of water ($3 or more!) or $15 salads for lunch. It’s essential if you’re looking to save your well-earned summer money, to take advantage of saving on everyday lunches, Starbucks coffees, or fancy morning breakfast bagels. Instead, spend on amazingly cheap happy hours, museums, concerts and the million other things to do in NYC. You’re going to remember those moments more than your regular salads.

4. Don’t bother with heels.

Coming from a 5-foot fashionista, it ain’t worth the blisters baby! Whether it’s the morning commute, running around the city during the day, or clubbing till the wee hours with no Uber rides… sometimes heels just aren’t worth it—3 blocks can feel like 20 miles. Wear comfortable, stylish shoes to work and run errands in because there is nothing worse and more distracting than limping around the office with bleeding blisters. Pack the heels.

5. Be nice to everyone you meet.

If there is anything I have learned this summer it is that this world is a small, small place. Regardless of how big New York City is, you never know whom you might meet or run into on the street; who knows… you may be working under them some day. Being friendly to everyone you meet in or outside the office can lead to new opportunities or maybe just a new happy hour buddy!

6. Always try your hardest.

Even if your days are insanely slow or the task you’re working on is a total bore, always try your hardest—your boss will be able to tell, trust me. As an intern, it’s important to stand out and prove what you’re made of. Trying your hardest on every task will not only deliver amazing results to your bosses, but you may end up with a full-time job offer post-graduation. #blessed

7. Be a self-starter.

Similarly to trying your hardest, you should always be a self-starter. Sometimes your boss doesn’t have time to make sure you constantly have a task, so stepping up and starting on something new will surely impress them.

8. You gotta start somewhere.

Sometimes it can be discouraging to do really basic and simple tasks when you know you are capable of a lot more. Taking a step back and realizing that you are an intern and in the wise words of Drake, need to start from the bottom will make your experience a lot better. Don’t get caught up in what you wish you could be doing and instead, focus and slay your tasks at hand—you’ll thank me later.

9. Ask questions and speak up!

Don’t be afraid to speak up and ask questions during your internship. These jobs are meant for you to learn, grow and improve your skills. You may really enjoy working on visual projects as opposed to more analytical tasks; by letting your boss know that you take pleasure in working on a certain job, you might just be the first person they ask for when a new project comes up. Also, ask any questions you may have because this is the time to learn. Asking questions shows that you are interested, determined to get the assignment done right and that you want to learn—all great qualities in a future employee!