9 Coronavirus Sex Tips From The NYC Health Department

9 Coronavirus Sex Tips From The NYC Health Department That'll Make You Rethink That Hookup

Is sex essential or nonessential? Asking for a friend.

450

While sex is not exactly one of the "essential" things the government suggests leaving quarantine for during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, not everyone is really great at following rules. Clearly.

That said, the New York City Health Department released a memo with sex tips to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 by encouraging New Yorkers to minimize contact with others.

Here are nine important tips you shouldn't ignore if you're considering leaving your place for a hookup.

Stop smooching.

If locking lips with whoever you want is your go-to (Peter, I'm looking at you), consider reeling it in and, well... not. The whole purpose of social distancing means you keep people at least six feet away from you to stop the spread and if you're swapping saliva, you're definitely breaking the number one rule of this whole thing. So just don't, OK?

Unless you are 100 percent certain your partner has been quarantined, the D or V isn't worth the risk — sorry.

Screw yourself.

Sure you might be dying to meet up with that guy or girl from the dating apps you just re-downloaded out of complete boredom but is it really worth it? This is especially true for anyone who's single AF because honestly, who even knows where your matches have been. NYC says to skip the risk and do yourself.

Consider video dates and sexting.

Yes, the NYC government wants you to go virtual with your sex life. If you can stick to virtual sex content (yes, coronavirus porn is a thing), then you're guaranteed to lower your risk of getting corona.

SEE ALSO: 9 Date Ideas For Couples Who Are Quarantined In Different Area Codes

If that's not enough, sleep with someone who lives with you.

The "next safest partner is someone you live with," the NYC Health memo shares. So if you live with your SO, crush, or friend with benefits who's been quarantined for 14 days... I guess you can have at it.

Have as few partners as possible.

At the end of the day, you gotta do what you gotta do. So if you end up deciding the sex you're leaving quarantine for is worth the risk (it better be really fricken good, friends), then NYC suggests keeping it to "only a few" partners so you don't throw social distancing completely out the door.

Use condoms or dental dams.

By using protection, the NYC Health memo states you will "reduce contact with saliva or feces, especially during oral or anal sex," therefore, lessening your risk of getting corona.

Avoid anilingus.

I mean, obviously... no sh*t. But also literally. COVID-19 can not only be found in saliva, but it can also be found in feces, so let's pause on ass-eating during this pandemic, shall we?

SEE ALSO: 30 People Confess How They Actually Feel About Anilingus And Turns Out Most Of Them LOVE It

Wash your hands before and after sex.

Keep your filthy paws off my... no but all jokes aside, WASH. YOUR. HANDS. Washing your hands is important enough when you're not having sex — add in the saliva, sweat, and other bodily fluids, and you should be washing for (at the very least) 20 seconds.

Clean sex toys with soap and water.

Like the hand washing, this shouldn't be news to you, but clean any sex toys immediately with soap and water. This, of course, should also be applied during life after this pandemic as well, just FYI.

Shop The Quarantine Toy Box

Follow Swoon on Instagram.