Why being a Nurse is actually a Dream Job in Disguise

Nursing Job
331

There is a very high demand for qualified nurses at the moment and the job of a nurse is still very respected in our society. Nurses are viewed as heroes to many and play a direct role in the well being of their patients, changing lives one patient at a time.

It is also a very sought after career, with tons of great benefits and many nurses reporting high levels of job satisfaction. Could being a nurse actually be a dream job in disguise?

Nurses are well Paid

While monetary gain should not be your sole motivation for becoming a nurse, nurses are some of the highest paid professionals relative to their education level in the country. As a matter of fact, the median pay for nurses was a whopping $68,450 per year in 2016 according to the bureau of labor statistics. That’s almost $10,000 more than the national average.

And these numbers go way up when we start talking about specializations. Certified nurse anesthetists for instance can expect to make anywhere from $105,000 to $130,000 a year, while other positions like certified nurse midwife, nurse researcher and mental health practitioner pay way above the national average.

Strong Personal Satisfaction

Nurses work closely with doctors and other members of staff. They also are the ones who are most in contact with their patients. Most patients interact way more with their nurse than they do their doctors, and they can build a lasting bond with their nurse really quick. Many nurses have come forward to say that nursing is the most rewarding career they could imagine.

Diverse Specialties

Another great thing about nursing is the sheer number of specializations. As a matter of fact, there are currently more than 200 different nursing specializations available. This means that you can find a field of nursing that fits your abilities, interests and aptitudes. And the number of settings you can work from are quasi infinite as well.

You could work as a sports medicine nurse and work with professional and amateur athletes. You could work as a travel nurse and work on a cruise ship. Or you could decide to work with particular population groups like elders or children, the choice is up to you.

Also, advancement opportunities in the nursing world are vast and you can always further your education while you’re on the job and open yourself to more possibilities. You could enroll in one of the many rn to msn programs online while you’re working and get access to more lucrative positions.

Different Career Paths

You don’t even have to work directly with patients if you have a nursing formation. You could work for a few years as a nurse than move on to teach for instance. You could become a nurse auditor and work with insurance companies to evaluate insurance claims. Or you could work as a nurse researcher or writer. The possibilities are endless.

Find Work anywhere you are

With a nursing degree, there isn’t a place in this country where you won’t be able to find work . There is a high demand for nurses at all levels, may it be urban areas, rural areas or in suburbia. And some states pay much higher than others to curb that demand, so it would be wise to check out nurse salaries in different parts of the country relative to cost of living and see if you could take advantage of the opportunity.

Conclusion

As you can see, working as a nurse has tons to offer. It’s one of the most versatile career out there, pay way above national average and the prospects are great. So what are you waiting for, and why don’t you take a closer look at what this wonderful career as to offer?