Now Isn't The Right Time To Impeach President Trump

Spoiler alert: It's because of Mike Pence.

Around this time last year, I was heading to my local polling place for the very first time.

Freshly 18 and armed with a sense of patriotism and optimism, I carefully filled out my ballot and proudly displayed my "I Voted" sticker for all to see. I returned home and watched the election results roll in.

My heart sank with every state that switched to red. It was one of the worst nights of my life.

This sounds dramatic, sure. Call me a snowflake if you want. But the American people electing Donald Trump as president completely dissolved my faith in the American political system and stomped on my innocent belief that my vote actually meant something.

Flash forward to today, about nine months into the Trump presidency, and the calls for impeachment are growing louder every day. Trump's time in office has been entrenched in scandal from the very start, and it is only getting worse with time, especially now with the indictments of Manafort and Gates, two individuals involved in Trump's campaign.

This being said, I'm not sure that now is the right time to impeach.

The problem with Trump (or upside, depending on where you stand politically) is his stubbornness combined with his obvious lack of experience in the political realm.

Sure, he knows how to brand himself and make business deals and run multi-million dollar franchises. But what he seems to be unable to do is negotiate in a political sense, and as a result, has had a very hard time getting any of his initiatives put into law.

He's his own worst enemy.

He can't get anything done because no one wants to work with him or his gigantic ego. Not only have his lack of tact and recklessness divided and weakened his own party, but he's having the same effect on the American public.

He's done a lot of things that have set us back as a country, both by negating things put in place by past administrations that were meant to help the American people, and by creating an atmosphere that makes people think it is okay to hate and discriminate because, hey, our President does it!

But consider this: If President Trump were to be taken out of office, the person to take his place would be Mike Pence.

Mike Pence, who passed a law as governor of Indiana making it legal for restaurants to deny patrons solely because of their sexuality. Mike Pence, who defunded Indiana's Planned Parenthood clinics and refused to refund them during an HIV outbreak in late 2014.

Mike Pence, who has the potential to be exponentially more harmful to our country than President Trump because he knows how to play the game.

As of right now, if Pence were to take office he would be backed by a Republican-controlled House and Senate and would know how to negotiate with them in a way that Trump has been unable to do.

With that kind of support, Pence could easily set our country back by undoing the advancements our country has made socially through the legalization of gay marriage and the fight for women's rights.

So maybe it isn't time to impeach Trump just yet.

Midterm elections are going to be held in 2018, at which time it could be possible to break up the Republican control of Congress. This would make it harder for Trump, Pence, or any Republican to pass the type of unfair and destructive initiatives that they want to.

It would be best to wait until we vote in some sort of democratic opposition in order to prevent the Republican party from having a scary amount of power. We're living in difficult times politically, but this too shall pass. The best thing we can do is fight for what we believe in and speak up for what we think is right.

Better days will come, and maybe this time we can really, truly make America great again.