The Truth About Going To A Small School

The Truth About Going To A Small School

Noticeable differences between a big school and a small school.

8
The Truth About Going To A Small School
http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/

You know everyone.

For better or for worse, this is the truth about a small school. If someone asks you if you know their friend, you either know them well or would recognize them if you saw a picture. I always get a weird look from people when I ask them if they know some of my friends at their big school, because they probably don’t, when half of the kids from everyone’s high school go there. Also, you don’t want to do anything too stupid, because everyone will know about it. I’d say this is a negative about the small size.

Don’t bother telling people from out of state where you go to school.

There is no point. No one's heard of your school, and you’re just going to have to deal with that. I always find myself getting confused looks from people and having to say, “It’s a small school, you’ve probably never heard of it.”

A lot of people are here to play sports or came to play.

I once had DIII hoop dreams, but those vanished when I realized the commitment level of DIII is just as serious as DI. You’ll meet a lot of people whose original plan was to play sports, but something happened or they were just lazy (your boy). A lot of the friends I have are athletes, so I know how much time you have to put in. I’d say it says a lot about you if you can stick with it for all four years, because I don’t think it has the same benefits as playing DI. But let me tell you something, being a NARP is no joke, either.

The Pickings are slim my friends. The Pickings. Are. Slim.

First of all, let me tell you that I have a girlfriend (who’s a dime) so I don’t have to worry about this, but its obvious that a small school means fewer options. At other schools, you can go out and meet new people whenever you want. Not the case at your good old small liberal arts school. I think the number one complaint I hear about from my friends is about the lack of girls. But that’s a complaint about quantity not quality, ladies.

Overall, the small school lifestyle is vastly different from the big schools’, but that doesn’t mean its not just as good. School size is a big factor that goes into people’s decisions on where they decide to go to college. Some people love small schools, and others couldn’t see themselves going to one. But either way, your school is going to be the place where you meet some of the most important people in your life, and also the place where you find out who you are as a person. In the end, this is something that happens at every school, both big and small.