I Am Not Totally Aristotle, But I Am Not Totally Aquinas.

The way we live if up to us.
84

Self. It is what I am. Not only in name, but body and soul. Each one of us has a different way of living. We have a different way of thinking. The way we think and act is the product of life lessons, raising, and faith. People say we all live life by the fight or flight response. Though I find that true I think there is a bit more going on. I live my life from a teleological standpoint. Not just by the teachings of Aristotle, and not just by Aquinas.

Through deep self-exploration, I have come to find that, even though I live my life that way, I do not fully agree with both. I wish to do right by people based on God, but I also wish to do right by people by my own human nature. My parents raised me on the idea that everything I say and do, every decision I make, every word I say, and every thought I have should only be glory to God. As I grew older I began to question this moral complex. No person, besides Jesus, has ever lived their life fully like that.

In order for one to do this, they must not have committed one sin in their lives. Living a life like this meant I had to be perfection. Don’t get me wrong, if it was morally possible for me to live this way I think I would since it is not I have no clue how I would live. I try to live my life in the best way possible. I think about many things, and many I don’t think about at all. I strive to do what I think is best for me and bring glory to God. I also live to please and support the people I love and care for. I also try to do the best for the people I know need help.

I show empathy towards people less fortunate than I am. I try not to blame people for my mistakes, but I’m still learning on that one. I try not to tell lies unless I think they are just. The only thing I can really hope for in life is that I live it well. I hope I end up in the right place in the end if I don’t that is no one’s fault but my own. I am responsible for the things I do.

Personal and Interpersonal Morality

• Lying: It is ok to lie to spare the feelings and promote the safety of the individual.
    • Dementia patient
      • They will be happy for either a day or they will forget.
    • Person in danger
      • If a family member is in danger, or their life is at risk, or to spare them pain I think it is alright to lie at that point.
    • To make something a surprise. You lie out of love.
    • It is not ok to lie any other time. It is a sin to lie in general. But I want what is best for the ones I love. If lying to them preserves human nature I will do it.
  • Keeping promises
    • Promises should always be kept.
    • Marriage
      • Unless it is an abusive or a sexually immoral marriage you must stay married.
    • Oaths
      • Work police force promise to serve and protect.
      • To tell the truth in the courtroom.
    • Promise in general
      • If you say you’re going to show up you try your best to show up or don’t promise.
  • Responding to Racist Comments
    • One must remember to keep a level head. If someone makes a racial comment towards you or a loved one you must be the bigger person and choose not to react in the same way. Nothing is achieved when both people are being unreasonable.
  • Sexual behavior
    • Sexual behavior is only reserved for one man and one woman in the constitution of marriage. If you are not married you shouldn't be having sex. Homosexuality goes against God’s design several times in the Bible God condemns homosexuality. Sexuality is a major part of the Bible and its constitutions.

Life Issues

• Abortion
    • I think morally it is wrong. You are taking the life of a human being. No matter what the government says. Abortion is murder which is against the law and a sin.
    • If you come from the stance that you think abortion is murder, which I do, and murder is illegal you could say you are breaking the law The fact that you can abort a child up to 21 weeks is appalling my little brother was born at 28 weeks and he is still alive and doing very well. He has no health or developmental disorders.
  • Physician-assisted suicide
    • To me it is morally wrong. I see the idea around it. I understand and I sympathize, but it is still suicide. God has not called you home and you will end up in the pit of fire for all eternity. Plus there is a chance you could pull through.
    • There is some split ideas about it, but it is legal in Washington and Oregon. There is an extremely long process to go through in order for you to be eligible for doctor-assisted suicide. Many tests doctors, signatures, and psychologists are needed for it to be allowed.
  • Capital punishment
    • Legally it is allowed in many states.
    • It is a good way of punishment for a serious crime.
    • More humane than life in prison.
  • War – Under what circumstances is it acceptable?
    • When a country invades ours.
    • To settle disagreements.
    • Refusal to trade for needed resources.
  • Iraq war – Was it a just war?
    • No, I do not think it was just a war. I believe it was our two countries trying to prove who is really in power.
    • Both countries wanted what each other had
    • Both did not know the severity of what they did would do in the world.
  • Poverty – personal obligations
    • Personally, I believe that as a Christian it goes against my values to not make an attempt to help a person in poverty.
    • I don’t mean I should give them half of my money, or let a stranger live in my house.
    • Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
    • Donate food
    • Don’t throw away old clothing, but donating to a homeless shelter.
  • Poverty – corporate obligations
    • Food corporations shouldn’t throw away their leftover foods like breads and cooked meats, but donate them to a soup kitchen, or advertise that for an hour after clothing you are giving away all leftover food to the less fortunate.
  • Poverty – governmental obligations
    • Personally, I think our government should care more for the impoverished.
    • No veteran should be homeless.
    • No mother or child should be without food.
    • Find better ways to help acclimate them to society.

Other Issues

• Animal experimentation – legality
    • Legally I think it is humane for scientists to experiment on animals.
    • Better than experimenting on humans.
    • Lots of times it is humane.
    • They are just animals.
  • Drugs - legalization (which ones, if any)
    • I am really neutral on this topic. I do not care if marijuana is legal. It does not affect me at all unless I smoke it myself.
    • Only natural drugs should be legal.
    • Prescription drugs
  • Drug use - morality
    • Morally I think the way many people use drugs is wrong.
    • Drug dependence is a sin and causes you to turn to bad things.
    • All you think about it next fix.
    • Changes mindset.
  • Affirmative action – legality
    • Legally people should be employed equally
    • Non-impoverished people shouldn’t be show discrimination.
    • Socially unjust.
  • Gay marriage - legality
    • People are expected to make exceptions of their rights for other.
    • Legally, I do not agree with it. I love my friends who are homosexuals.

In conclusion, I find that everyone has their own view of their morals and beliefs. In the end of life, only God has the power to judge us for how we have lived our lives. The only thing we can do and hope for in this life is that we live it well, and hope we are living it right.