Not to say to someone w/ mental illness

10 Things To NOT Say To Someone With A Mental Illness

You don't get to judge what constitutes as bad and good for someone else.

89
Megan McCabe

There are so many people who suffer from a type of mental illness and these are some of the things that you should NEVER say to someone struggling with one. Not only can it be rude but it can also make their illness act up more than it already is.

"Just don't think like that."

Seriously, I have heard this and trust me if I could stop the non-logical anxiety/depression thinking I would. No one would choose to constantly be thinking of the worst-case scenarios that make them back out of situations.

"Go for a walk."

For me personally, this is not something that works. Normally I have been crying and I will overthink and worry about what people are thinking of me when they see me. As well as the fact that working out doesn't work for me as I am too self-conscious of what other people are thinking of me.

"Why?"

This one is broad because why has been used in a lot of annoying things that have been said to me and others. If I knew why I was sad I would tell you. Sometimes my depression literally just makes me feel sad and there isn't necessarily a reason.

"You're not that bad."

Everyone has different levels of what they consider normal. My bad day is quite drastic from my good day. Anyone suffering from a mental illness feels hopeless and like this is the absolute lowest I can get when they have a bad day. You don't get to judge what constitutes as bad and good for someone else.

"Just be happy!"

The fact that I need to explain this one is sad. If I could be happy I would but my brain doesn't function the right way for that to work. Also, you wouldn't say that to someone who was crying over a failed test because it doesn't work so why would you say it to someone suffering from a mental illness.

"Keep it a secret, so they know the normal you."

Seriously if you're worth being in my life, then you can accept my mental illness and all. Otherwise, why would I bother with your ups and downs?

"I'm so sorry you have to deal with that."

For one its an uncomfortable word choice like how am I supposed to respond to that and for another, it reinforces that you're abnormal. Also, it makes us feel like we are supposed to apologize for what I go through and who I am.

"Well, at least you're not..."

Honestly, this invalidates me and what I am going through like I don't have the right to be going through what I am because people have it worse. I need support for what I am going through don't try to make me see the bright-side because at that moment I physically can't.

"You know you're a lot to handle."

Yes, yes I am. I am aware its hard to be around me (and others when they are going through their illness) you don't need to make me feel guilty for having something that I have no control over.

"...CRAZY!"

Literally using crazy in any sentence pertaining to someone with a mental illness is the equivalent of punching them in the face. Just don't. Period end of story.

Remember that the people suffering from these illnesses are people. They have no control over their illness and at most, they can have techniques (coping mechanisms, medication, etc.) to help them MANAGE their symptoms but NOT cure them. If you want to help try asking the person what they need when they are suffering from their illness instead of saying something that may make things worse. Sometimes a hug is all they need, sometimes they need to be left alone, and sometimes you just have to be present.