7 Reasons I Still Call My Mom In College

You might think you'll stop needing her, but you never really will.

96
Emily Farrell

I have always been an independent person. I remember as a kid I would tell my parents my plan to "move to California and never come home" as soon as I got my high school diploma. I never did end up in California, and I have found myself needing home much more than I ever thought I would. Despite my plan to leave home and never look back, I still call my mom every day while I'm at school, and I wouldn't have it any other way. There's a million reasons why calling my mom makes my life better, but here's just a few that stood out.

1. I can talk about anything

Since she knows pretty much everyone in my life, and I know she loves me unconditionally and won't judge me when I make mistakes, I can tell her pretty much anything. Whether I'm calling about a friend from home who I just don't know how to help, a friend from school who I've just met, or anyone I've met in between, she knows exactly who it is and how to help.

2. She is non-judgemental

She's always on my side, and no matter what I say to her, I know that she won't judge me for it. She is always trying to guide me and help me to become a better person, but she does so in a gentle and loving way. She helps me with my best interests in mind, no matter what.

3. She helps me feel more at home

Even though I'm over a year into college, I still feel homesick sometimes. It's nice to talk to someone who is the epitome of home, and makes me feel like I'm sitting in my living room instead of in a dorm bed or dining hall. It doesn't change the fact that I'm at school, but she gives me updates on all of my family members (and dogs of course) and keeps me in the loop so I don't miss a beat!

4. She's much wiser than I am

She's lived a lot longer than me, and while I hate to admit it, she's usually right about most things. She has a different perspective on life that I often need when trying to solve problems, and she always steers me in the right direction.

5. She always is willing to talk

A mother always has their children at the front of their mind, and no matter what time of day I call my mom, I know that she'll make time for me and listen to what I have to say. Even though she's got a busy life of her own, she makes sure to work around my schedule and find times that work for both of us.

6. She needs someone to talk to also

Even though my mom is always open to talking about my life, she needs someone to talk to about things too. Whether it's picking a dress to buy for an upcoming party or discussing more important family matters, she comes to me with a lot of her problems as well. And while I'm not as wise as she is, I do the best I can to lend an ear and help her through whatever she is going through!

7. She loves me unconditionally

At the end of the day, no one will show more love and compassion than a mother. The amount of love that my mother has for me is comforting while I'm away at school, and she never fails to remind me of how much she truly does love me. So if for NONE of these other amazing reasons, call your mom because she loves and misses you!