It's Almost 2020 And I Am NOT Ready To Be 20

It's not that as soon as the clock strikes 12 on January 1 that things are going to change instantly, but I think it's the anticipation of gradual change that sort of scares me.

9

In less than two weeks, it's going to be 2020. I swear that it feels as if I graduated high school yesterday. I still remember being handed my diploma and taking photos with some people who I haven't seen since. I was actually still 17 at the time, and now I'm 19 and will turn 20 in the upcoming year.

The fact that I don't even look like I'll be 20 is already enough to convince me that I'm younger than I'll actually be. I look like I'm still in high school, and if I put my glasses on, then make that middle school.

When I think of the 20s, I think of the typical college graduate being the newest employee at their workplace, sharing the rent with a few of their college friends, and going to the bar on a Friday night. Sometimes, I tell myself that's the life that I want to live post college, but it feels so far out of reach and light years away.

Because I've been a student for basically my whole life, I can't imagine myself being out of school - not having to wake up for 8am classes and not having multiple assignments due at 11:59pm every week. I'm only a sophomore and not graduating soon, but technically, graduation is only 2 years away. I can't help but think about these things, especially as we approach 2020.

Once I turn 20, I will have been alive for two decades. Even though that may not sound like a long time, 20 will be a new phase of my life. I can no longer blame the stupid decisions that I make on being a "teenager" (not that I do right now, but you know). I can no longer dodge the responsibilities that I should be responsible for. I can no longer rely on my parents to drive me everywhere that I need to go (that means I'll have to get my license...yikes).

I guess I'm still trying to process how quickly time flies. Not that as soon as the clock strikes 12 on January 1 that things are going to change instantly, but I think it's the anticipation of gradual change that sort of scares me. I'm not ready to be an ADULT adult, if you know what I mean.