I'm Not Picky When It Comes To Dating, I Just Have Standards

I'm single because the right person hasn't come along yet. ​​​
150

I've had guys slide into my DMs, swipe right on Tinder, and had a few ask me out on dates. I've also have my fair share of being involved in a few relationships. However, none of that has ever mattered to me as I prefer to get to know person for who they are rather than adding to my body count.

Maybe it is an old school way of looking at love and relationships, but I do have standards when it comes to potential significant others. Along those lines, I do believe in having some sort of connection. That's not to be confused with believing everyone has a soulmate.

Sure, I go on dates to get to know a person more, but that initial spark I feel sometimes is a huge indicator in how I genuinely feel.

There is nothing wrong with having standards.

For a majority of high school, I didn't date. There were guys I had crushes on here and there, but nothing serious. The guys who tried to get me to date them simply were not my type.

Like I said, I do not care for someone's physique or body count. To me, what is important is the personality of the individual. Often, someone may be considered attractive from the outside until you get to know their inside - the "fuck boy."

I want someone who doesn't necessarily have the same goals, but shares the same drive and motivation to accomplish what they want in life. I want someone who is going to challenge me to be my very best while letting me learn and grow with them. I'm only 18, almost 19. Marriage is the very last thing I'm thinking about. Of course, like mentioned, I want someone whose personality matches well with mine on a spiritual and intellectual level.

That is one of the reasons why I didn't date. As long as I can remember, I've had big city dreams and wanted to get away from my small hometown. All the boys that came into my life were either concerned with hooking up or wanting to settle down.

I'm sorry, but I'm worth more than just friends with benefits or playing the role as someone's little wife at the age of 18.

I'm single because the right person hasn't come along yet.

The best advice I've gotten about dating comes from my mother: "Dating is like an ice cream shop. You'll never know your favorite flavor unless you try them all."

I haven't been on this planet for that long, of course I'm not going to have a clue just yet on who I really want to spend the rest of my life with. I hardly know what I'm doing tomorrow.

For now, I'm casually dating and trying to find traits in individuals I want while hoping to find all of them in one person. If I end up marrying that person someday, great. If I don't but I am committed to that person, also great. All that matters to me in the end is if I'm happy with whoever I'm with.

I know I will eventually find someone who makes me happy in all sorts of ways. They are out there. I know my worth, so I'm just waiting for someone who sees that rather than how society has been pushing "relationship goals" or what a relationship is meant to look like.

I'm not going to settle for anything less.