Not Going To Parties Doesn't Mean You're Antisocial Or Unfun

No, I Don't Go To Parties, But That Doesn't Make Me Antisocial Or Anti-Fun

You're not missing out on anything if you don't go to this party. If anything, you're using that time to do other things you genuinely like.

262

I was sitting in my law and politics class trying to figure out what to write my next article about. Then I realized that Friday is two days from now and remembered how all the party kids would come out of their caves. This article isn't meant to offend those who do party every weekend and feel good about it. It's for those who DON'T and why that's completely okay. I'm not entirely innocent myself... I was dragged to two parties last semester and it was enough for me to decide that I never wanted to go to one again. If you're anything like me, you like to stay in, watch TV, sleep for hours, and try not to go out as much. The problem, however, is that a lot of people associate this with not having friends.

But that's not true.

First, you have to look at WHY people go to parties. Maybe you're single and want to meet someone of the opposite (or same) sex. Maybe you had a lot of stress built up over the pane week and want to let it out. Maybe you like drinking and having a good time. All of these are solid reasons. I'm not saying they're okay but this is mostly why people go. This is where myself and many others differ. We don't like to drink, we let out stress in other ways, and maybe we're not single so we have no business going to parties. Not only that, but it's really cold at night and we'd rather wear our ugly sweats and sleep as opposed to pulling out our best tube tops and dancing the night away

Again, not saying it's bad — it's just not what some people like.

What we dislike very much, however, is getting JUDGED for it. We could refuse to go to a party and someone somewhere would think we were just friendless nerds who had no social life. The truth is, I'm somewhat of an ambivert. I'm extroverted just as much as I'm introverted. Going to parties is not something I personally feel comfortable with. Chances are, if you go to a school where parties are VERY prominent, you're gonna deal with this problem quite often.

My roommate's an amazing human being. She works hard and does whatever she can to keep peace in our abode. But she likes to go to parties whereas I don't. She's invited me to a fair amount of parties and I've declined every time. Does that mean she gets mad at me and/or yells at me for saying no? Not at all. She'll still do her thing and I'll do mine. And that's an example of good behavior.

People like myself deal with a lot of internal conflict. Do we or do we not go to this party? Are we missing out if we don't? Maybe we'll feel happier if we do? The answer is that it's all up to the person deciding. You're not missing out on anything if you don't go to this party. If anything, you're using that time to do other things you genuinely like. And that's what matters. What matters isn't whether you party or don't (although partying a bit too much is harmful). What really matters, is that you put your time into what will allow you to feel good.