I Am Not On Top Of It All, And That's OK

We don't have to be on top of it all, our lives don't have to be balanced, and it is perfectly wonderful to feel overwhelmed.
27

Are you on top of it all? I am not. If so, how do you do it?

As a young adult, I know we all feel constant pressure to be on top of it all and have our lives balanced. But who has time to do that? My life consists of several jobs, classes, writing opportunities, my own blog, being a young adult, trying to have a social life, spending time with my family and...can I add in anything else? What about you? How many errands, tasks and things can you juggle at once until it all hits the fan? I love being busy and I know as young adults, we all love to be involved.

Doing hundreds of things and not being sane is the only way to do this life. We are living our lives to the fullest by indulging in opportunity and adventure by staying busy and riding the hustle. There is beauty in that. We don't have to be on top of it all. It's OK not to be.

As school is starting up this fall, I am going to start going back to my natural roots, and by that, I mean being a hot mess. I kind of love it. I have found success in staying very busy, trying to stay calm and finding moments for myself. Why are these important? As a very organized person, I seem to constantly look at others and question if I am doing things right, on the correct path and doing as much as I can. It's time to take these tips and launch forward to have a balanced life that is very messy and fun.

1. Stay busy

As a young adult, staying busy, especially in college, is key. While trying to maneuver through life and figure out our passions, staying busy and having goals is necessary. Yes, this is when you will get tired, overwhelmed, stressed, cranky and a list of 100 other things, but this is what we need! This mess of stress is what will push us to success. Our end goal is at the end of this hot mess. Staying involved will keep your head in the right place, focused and always looking forward. While you might not know exactly what to do, continuing to push our bodies and minds will create a path we couldn't imagine.

2. Stay calm and collective and find moments for you

My middle name could be stress, and I love it. I love working hard and playing hard. But, there is something to be said for staying calm and collective. Being calm, rolling with the punches and being true to who you are can quickly balance a hectic week.

What can we do to stay calm?

Meditate: Find a peaceful, quiet place that calls your name, sit down and relax

Yoga: Try out a summer Yoga class to unwind and break out of your crazy day

Walking: I have found peace in going for walks, putting in calm music and taking some personal time for my thoughts and body to stretch and relax

Blogging fan? Head to the library, local coffee shop or your favorite cafe and unwind around the comfort of quiet people

It is more than important to learn how to be too busy. It is all about how you handle the pressure and stress. I am not on top of it all...ever. I have a huge problem called oversleeping, a tendency to do things last minute and get involved with way too many things. But, that is the beauty of being a young adult. We are crazy, determined, hard workers with goals shooting to the moon.

I am not on top of it all...are you?