I Am Not A Modern Day Feminist And That's OK
Politics

An insight as to why men face inequality just like women do.

46
Wiki

Before I begin, let me make it clear that I in no way condemn those who believe in the feminist movement. However, I do share a very different viewpoint that may or may not rustle the feathers of those who disagree.

Here is the thing, in my opinion, women in the U.S. stopped fighting for equality a while ago. We have started this new phase of an almost radical attempt to make it as if women are the only ones facing inequalities in this country. It is ridiculous. Let's stop playing the victims over everything and realize that the people of this country face inequality every day, not just one gender.

Here are my issues with the definition of feminism and its application in the real world, If women are really trying to fight for equal rights then why don't we ever hear about the injustices that men face every day? Why aren't we trying to fight for the equality of everyone? I am not sure when the idea that men are invincible to everything evil in this world became a thing, but that's almost as insane as it is invalid.

Let's begin with just some of the examples of flawed thinking in terms of feminism:

1. More Men are Raped in the United Stated Than Women

Yes, it is true. When the number of sexual assaults from the U.S. prison systems are included into this figure, men experience higher levels of rape than do women in this country. Most of these assaults were between inmates; however, MANY were attacks on inmates by WOMEN prison staff. Hold on, let me repeat. Yes, women are capable of raping men and it happens much more than any of the feminists would like to claim.

2. Yes, women athletes don't make as much because there is not as much revenue.

This is something that I hear about constantly and it just boggles my mind that people don't understand the concept as to why women make less than men on average in sports. Let's look at soccer for example. Women make less because their pool of revenue is significantly less. According to Business Insider, the pool of prize money for the women's US soccer team was 15 million dollars in comparison to the 576 million dollar pool brought in by men's soccer. All of you throwing fits about these unequal wages need to step back and wonder why there are less investors supporting women's sports than there are supporting men's sports, rather than why there is less money in the women's sports pool. Remember less money in means less money out.

3. The idea of raising a family at home and having dinner ready on the table for my future husband excites me.

Yep, I said it. I would take no greater pleasure in being the so called "domesticated" mom and wife that you might see in the 1950's movies with an apron tied on. It is not because I feel like it is my only place in the world or the home, but because it is where I WANT to be. I am educated and have a job, so if anyone reading this is thinking that it is because i don't want to work, that's false. I have my bachelors degree and am going back to school to further my education, but the only job that I have ever been more excited for than one day becoming a doctor is that of being a caretaker in my home. I want to pack lunches, do the laundry, and have dinner ready because for me that is my bliss. Wanting to make others happy isn't oppression, it's a choice of heart.

4. A man cat calling me on the street isn't a reflection of gender inequality, it's a matter of respect.

I am sure at one point or another in life, you have been whistled at walking down the side of the street. While this might be totally inappropriate and classless, it is not gender inequality. Why? Because I know just as well as the next person that women cat call men too. Let me set the scene for you: walking down the street and a group of shirtless, ripped men walk by glistening in the sun. Am I totally mistaken to think that a woman might turn her head or make a comment about the physical appearance of the men? Let's be honest. Women complain because they don't get attention from men and they complain when they get whistled at, so there realistically always unhappy about some actions carried out by the male species. Also, if a man whistles and says inappropriate things it is not because they think they are better than you, but because they simply don't have respect for others or themselves. That's not a gender issue, but a personal one.

5. Teach young girls AND boys to respect EACH OTHER.

I think one of the biggest inequalities facing young boys and girls and grown men and women is the idea that boys and men can't have feelings or they can't defend themselves. Why is it that it is acceptable for a female to beat a man and not be hit back, but if a man hits a woman, it's all hands on deck? I would like to think that people would promote self-defense regardless of gender, but it always seems that we as a culture are teaching women to defend themselves against men, but how about men defending themselves against women? According to the CDC more victims of abuse in intimate relationships are men than women. "Within the last 12 months an estimated 5,365,000 men and 4,741,000 women were victims of intimate partner physical violence. (Black, M.C. et al., 2011, Tables 4.1 and 4.2)." Again i ask, feminists where is the equality for men?

If you want to fight for something, fight for equality of people, not for the supremacy of one gender.