I Am Not Fake—I Am Creating A Brand

I Am Not Fake—I Am Creating A Brand

As a millennial, it is hard to find the perfect balance.
350

As I am sitting outside a coffee shop in the beautiful city of Glasgow, I am able to reflect on amazing experiences and memories that I have created thus far. But I frequently have been in the mindset and thinking to myself...what is too much? How can I share my experiences while staying present?

A couple of articles ago, I wrote about my tips on staying present and being the best version of you for today, not tomorrow—I try to live by those tips, but it can be hard.

While I am in a fashion program here, I have talked to several women who have some of the same aspirations as mine and we seem to have similar problems.

What is the difference between creating a brand for ourselves and being fake? Am I sharing too much of my life with others? What is the balance?

Or, do you forget about it all and say FU to the judgemental people out there and live your own life?

As a millennial, it is hard to find the perfect balance. Society is telling me to shut up, shut the phone, and be present. While my hope-to-be-career path is telling me to promote yourself, share your fashion, share your lifestyle, share your writing, and let people in. I can say this has become a struggle.

As a writer, I want others to be able to see and hear my voice through my writing and I hope that people are able to relate my photos to the personality that is in my stories and what I am sharing to the world. When I share my fashion and my lifestyle I feel others are able to connect to the writing I am putting out there.

Conclusion...even though I do not have it ALL figured out:

If you are someone just like me trying to create something in the media world, but want others to know that you are portraying the REAL you, not anything fake, I have a couple of tips.

1. Take photos, sure, but put your phone down

I am like the next girl—I love traveling and I love fashion and a good photo is always fun. But DO NOT be the person who sits on their phone and edits pictures at lunch or edits pictures for "fun." There is a time and a place to have your social media time.

Put it down, and enjoy the moment, enjoy the people because before you know it, the day will be over. I have recently been around some eye-opening people who have been so consumed in portraying the "perfect" person online they missed out on quality time. That is my first tip.

2. Portray the best version of you

I really don't understand the reason to put up a "fake you." I feel like it's a trend. Let's pretend to be world travelers, have a lot of money, and have amazing style...I think no.

What a way to get your self-esteem down. I see a lot of people who are creating a virtual new personality and people are intrigued online. Create your brand, but don't be fake. The only version that will sell is if you're being honest.

3. Connect to your audience by making yourself vulnerable, and share REAL things

Write, paint, vlog, be creative, do whatever scares you most, and put it out there. I am trying to create a brand and not be fake. My writing comes from the heart, the real me. How can that be faked? Show people what you are thinking, feeling, and believing. Not a fake image.