Do you have a very important job interview coming up? Are you a tad nervous because you really want this awesome opportunity? I get it, these type of things can be nerve-wracking, but have no fear! I have just the thing to help you out for your big day! Here are 10 don'ts of interviewing.

1. Timing is everything 

giphy

When it comes to important events like an interview, make sure you're not late. This can come across as unprofessional, and it will give the interviewers a poor first impression of you. This can potentially be a tiny flaw that can cost you the job. Here's a little rule of thumb for you: try to at least be 15-20 minutes early so that you can be ready.

2. You’re going to an interview, not to your 8 a.m. lecture 

giphy

You want to make a great first impression, and sorry to break it to you, but that Vineyard Vines shirt just isn't going to cut it with the interviewers. Make sure to wear the appropriate dress clothes before showing up.

3. They're not your bros 

giphy

When talking to interviewers, you want to be respectful and use adequate language to perform at your best. Yes, they're just people too, but at this very moment, they are evaluating you to see if you fit best with their company.

4. Just a spray of perfume/cologne and not the whole bottle, please 

giphy

I totally get it, you want to smell nice and impress the interviewers. You can still do that, but remember to be conscious that there are people who are actually sensitive to strong odors like these. I would hate to see you miss an opportunity for something so small and simple.

5. Liar, liar, pants on fire 

giphy

You know what they say, "Honesty is the best policy." Please don't lie during your interview. This can cost you the job and potentially getting a reputation as the candidate who is dishonest about themselves. Once you start with a white lie, it turns into another one and another until you go downward spiral and wonder where it all went wrong. Let me save you the misery of that and tell you that you are great. I am sure you are an excellent candidate for that job position!

6. Questions require answers 

giphy

While I know it can be nerve-wracking thinking of an amazing memorable story, the worst thing you can do during an interview is to just give a simple yes or no answer. This is the time where the interviewer will be taking notes to see if you fit with the company. Don't be scared to talk about yourself because this is your moment to shine.

7. Why is the table shaking 

giphy

I get it you're nervous, but maybe try not to flip over the table while shaking your legs rapidly. Don't worry, I'm guilty of this one too, but I've found that the easiest way to stop doing this is by taking slow deep breaths. Instead of shaking your legs, try to just move your toes and it will give you a similar sensation without going overboard with the shaking.

8. Plot twist: winging it won't cut it 

giphy

Always remember to prepare for your interview. Go over interview questions or maybe even practice some mock interviews with friends. Make sure to know the company inside and out because they will ask you questions on why exactly you want to work there.

9. Crunch, munch, crunch, munch 

giphy

If you're hungry, please eat before you go to your interview. It is not professional to bust out some hot Cheetos in the middle of your interview.

10.  Let's see those pearly whites 

giphy

Don't forget to smile. This shows that you are comfortable and you actually want to be there with them. Remember, confidence is key.

These are just some of the things to stay away from when going in for an important interview. I know they can be a little nerve-wracking, but don't worry they are not that bad. I wish you the best of luck with your future interview, you can do it!