Not All Child Protective Services Workers Are Monsters

131
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/01/636554694660368628-1128693672_people.jpg

If you have ever heard the words "Child Protective Services" or "Social Services," chances are you get very nervous. You might start shaking. You might even throw up. You will most likely want to hide. And by all means, you probably should.

But I'm here to tell you, not all Child Protective Services workers are monsters. There are some who care about the job they do, they take it very seriously when it comes to protecting children and they go to bed at night worrying about some little one in a house somewhere, and hoping and praying that they won't get "that call" in the morning that the little guy or girl didn't make it through the night because their parents were assholes.

Not all Child Protective Service workers are monsters. Some try to do everything in their power to help families. Some go out of their way to answer phone calls after hours. Some will help out a mom, a dad, a kid, an aunt, uncle or someone else in the family well after their day shift ends. Some cut their dinners short to answer a phone call, answer a question, respond to a text or try to save the world.

There are Child Protective Service workers who will visit schools, talk to kids about video games, talk to kids about unicorns, talk to kids about a basketball game or who ask who their favorite team is. There are workers who will ask a kid what they want for Christmas. They will talk to them about their favorite teacher. They will ask them what they don't like about school. They might even ask them if they like Pop-Tarts.

Something you may or may not know about Child Protective Service workers is that many of them care about the kids. Some want to become foster parents. Some want to adopt some of the kids they are trying to protect and save. Some have spent their own money to buy bicycles for little kids for Christmas because they don't have one. Some spend their own money to buy Thanksgiving baskets for families who can't afford it. And others even buy little kids Christmas presents because they want them to feel loved.

Yes, you will find people in the line of work who don't like kids, don't like families, have a negative attitude, and quite frankly, you aren't going to want to cross them in a dark alley. But that goes with any job. There are rude, insensitive and downright cruel people in the world. It happens. And it doesn't matter what job they are in, what they do for a living, who they are or where they live. It happens. And nothing you say or do can avoid people from behaving like that.

But not all Child Protective Service workers are evil. Some go home and cry at night after they remove kids from a mom or dad's house. Some quit the job because the paycheck is nice, the benefits are great, the vacation time and 401K plan is amazing, but they can't sleep at night knowing they might have just destroyed someone's family by removing their kids. Some workers might feel responsible for a mom committing suicide, or a dad stepping in front of a train.

Many of them care about their job. Many go into work in the morning with the attitude that they are going to save the world. Some even update on Facebook with a simple status "Saving the little kids of the world" or "Protecting the little ones of the world" and do it with a smile on their face.

Some Child Protective Service workers have gone through a divorce because they've taken their job so seriously that they can't leave it at the front door of the house when they come home after work. Some have dealt with depression. Others have dealt with anger. Many of them go through the day dealing with sadness, and the fear that today might be the day that they remove someone's kids.

But what you don't understand is that Child Protective Service workers see children being beaten. They see children being sexually abused. They see human trafficking. They see physical abuse. They see neglect. They see children being ignored. And they see children being killed. It's not an easy job to do. It's not for everyone.

People in society don't see the good side of this job. They don't see workers getting state and federal money to provide beds for a little boy or girl who don't have one. They don't see the workers going out after hours, many times not being paid for it, just to help out a family. They don't see a worker going to a store and trying to find diapers for a little kid after hours. And they don't see the workers transporting kids in car seats to some foster home halfway across the state because the kid needs a place to live.

People don't see workers dealing with the emotional stress, pain and suffering when they walk into a house and see it so disgusting and dirty that they can't get through without seeing flies, maggots and garbage all over the place. People don't see the anger from the parents when Child Protective Service workers knock on their door. They don't see the hatred in their eyes. And they don't see the workers doing everything possible to keep the kids in the home.

All the media says is that Child Protective Service workers are animals. They want to take kids. There are stories floating around that workers get a bonus for taking someone's kid. There are stories around that the more you take, the more you make. And it's all a lie. You don't see what Child Protective Service workers deal with every day. Long hours. Long evenings. Bad weekends. Going to bed at night wondering if someone isn't going to make it through the night, and waking up in the morning to do it all over again.

Before you judge, I am here to tell you one simple truth. Child Protective Service workers are paid very well. That is not a lie. But they see things no human being should see. They deal with parents doing the most horrific things to children that nobody should ever want to imagine, let alone have to deal with. But they also get furniture for parents. They get food stamps and insurance for parents. They provide housing for kids. They talk to the families to try to save them and keep them together. They try to do good things so they can go home and night and hopefully think they might have saved a little one.

Just because you hear what a Child Protective Service worker does for a living doesn't mean you know. You may be only hearing the bad side. You may know someone who lost their kids. You may have dealt with a worker knocking on your door to talk to you, interview your kids and scare the hell out of you. It may not have happened to you yet. If you are a good parent, that doesn't mean anything. You may anger the wrong person, set off an ex spouse or piss off an ex-girlfriend. It happens. And a worker may show up on your door leaving you with a horrible fear in the pit of your stomach that something bad may happen.

But not all Child Protective Service workers are monsters.

I am one of those people. I am a Child Protective Services worker. I go to work every single day to save the children of the world, to keep families together, and to try and find happiness in the homes to help mom, dad and the little ones realize just how special a family truly is, and how important life is. Together.

I love my job. I am blessed to go into work every day feeling like I am going to make a change. I am going to do something great. I am going to put a smile on someone's face. I am going to be nice. I am going to treat them with respect. I am going to help them. I am going to do some good for the world. And I'm going to be the person that changes their life for the better.

I am proud. I am strong. And I love my job. I am a Child Protective Services worker, and I wouldn't want it any other way.