Highlighting the North Korean Crisis

Highlighting the North Korean Crisis

Don’t be a bystandard
327

This year the tensions between North Korea and the United States has reached an ultimate high, leaving both nations on the brink of a Nuclear War. This war is not fought over a nations stability, rather argued through the strength and military power of its 'respected' leaders. Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un cover up their motives by stating that they want sovereignty over their nation, as well considered a valued player in global politics. When in reality Kim Jong Un wants to torture his people without being sanctioned, while Trump focuses on how to make this problem disappear.

Americans are one of the lucky few people that can live disconnected from war if they choose. They can look forward to the holidays in December, can have a holiday about chocolates and flowers in February, and get completely obliterated in March. Security, stability and fun runs this lifestyle that too many people worldwide will never enjoy. Although there are many atrocities that are happening worldwide, the attack on humanity is strongly experience in North Korea.

It’s important to remember that North Korea is the result of the worldwide Red Scare that forced nations to decide between communism and democracy. When the peninsula split, with China supporting communist North Korea and America South Korea, instability, famine, and havoc roamed the land. In 1953 the peninsula agreed on a seize fire, as well as a divide between governments at the 38th parallel. The average American was able to move on from this, to the point that the North Korean crisis is now treated lightly and overlooked.

Tensions between North Korea and America became more evident when James Franco and Seth Rogen’s film The Interview was not allowed to shown in theatres . This movie highlighted the oppressive state and blamed Kim Jong Un for his short falls as a leader. Pointing out false consciousness of the peoples existence, the lack of food, while living in fear of nuclear warfare. All these can be justified by the rules of sovereignty- however, isnt it our duty as the beacon of democracy make a change?

President Trump has threatened nuclear war over a tweet to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. First off, only Congress can declare war, and instegating should be inbrindgement on check and balances. However, its not, bc its a tweet, not a declaration or offical statement. These threats cause other natins to retaliate with action rather than words. North Korea now has a gun that can reach all of the United States.... Yet life just carries on like nothings happening. it might be from our disconnect to war, but it doesnt change the fact that this is stil whats going on

The people of North Korea live in a false consciousness where they believe they are still in active war with the United States. For them, America is the reason why malnutrition is the norm in thier country, with only their Supreme Leader’s generosity to feed them. This causes a generation of children to idolize and remain loyal to the state. This loyalty causes disconnect between families, where a child could report their own mother to authorities for speaking ill about the world they live in.

Once an individual is under custody in North Korea they run the risk of being sent to a labor camp. These labor camps mimic concentration camps where brutality, starvation and degradation is common. Here individuality dies and you become and enemy of the state- where your life is meaningless. These camps can even force a whole family into it for a misdemeanor crime. Here individuals battle for food, and forced to watch executions, and are beaten without reason. Lets NEVER forget Otto Warmbier who was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor for taking down a propaganda poster when visiting North Korea in 2016. He was return to the United States mid June 2017 in a comma and trauma signs. Warmbier died because he broke a simple rule in a dictatorship. His story was told, and mourned, but there are 120,000 men, women and children who live this nightmare.

Its our duty as Americans to reach out and make a change. We cannot risk political curtosy and over look the horror at the expense of the Korean people.