NorCal vs SoCal: Why Is There A Rivalry?

Why argue when both parts have In-N-Out?
6054

The relationship between Northern California and Southern California is like a sibling rivalry.

The rivalry goes back to the end of the 19th century when Los Angeles began to grow too big for its own water supply. This meant that water was funneled from NorCal and the Colorado River. Northern Californians became the main source of water in the state. This became the main reason for the split of California. The cultures of the two halves are usually defined by the Bay Area and Los Angeles.

Contrary to what an outsider would think, the two halves differ in many ways. Whether it’s dialect, music, or way of lifestyles, people in NorCal differentiate themselves from people in SoCal in more ways than one.

Let’s start with music. Music is a huge part of our culture as human beings. It's a vital aspect of our lives. So it's important enough that we even have special award shows specifically for the industry. If you’re from the Bay Area, then you absolutely know about the hyphy movement. Urban dictionary defines the hyphy movement as "a period of time where certain talented artists like Mac Dre, E-40, Mistah Fab, etc. were discovered and originated." Soon they were the ones to change the face of Bay Area music into something that is now known and wanted around the world. Being a Bay Area native myself, I, Go Stupid, Dumb and Hyphy, and Ghost Ride Da Whip with my friends religiously on a day by day basis. Disregard that last statement if you’re not from the Bay.

Another prominent factor in the split between the cultures is language. Bay Area lingo involves word such as: "hella," "tryna," "giggin’," "yadadamean," "thizz," "yay area," etc. that SoCal people generally do not use in their day to day conversations.

SoCal has one of the most touristy places in America: Hollywood. SoCal has the entertainment complex that is the main root of popular culture both nationally and globally. Its significance can't be underestimated, despite the fact that Hollywood's profits are dwarfed by both Silicon Valley and the East Coast financial industry. However, NorCal has Silicon Valley which is a major center for high-tech manufacturing and numerous web-based corporations. It has a high cost of living as a result and is among the most expensive regions in the United States to live in.

When it comes to beaches, NorCal is no match for SoCal.

When it comes to sports teams, NorCal has more sports teams than SoCal.

SoCal has better Mexican food.

NorCal has better traffic and weather.

SoCal has better amusement parks.

NorCal has better people who are more humble and down-to-earth.

SoCal has celebrities that you may run into.

This back and forth limbo of which two parts of California is “better” can go on and on, but at the end of it all, why does this rivalry even exist?

There’s no denying that California is probably the best state to live in. We have a diverse landscape, a diverse group of people, and a diverse selection of food. We also have the top universities in the country to attend. It's true that the United States is a melting pot, but California is an even more concentrated version of that. This state is made up of so many different people and cultures that should not be in competition over which part is better. After all, what is there to argue over when both regions have In-N-Out?