5 Nonfiction Books That Read Like Fiction

Because sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

183

I feel like nonfiction books are unfairly labeled as boring, and that both casual and serious readers alike steer clear of them at all costs. As an avid reader, I have read many nonfiction books, and some really stood out to me because they were on an interesting topic and written so skillfully that the reader was tricked into thinking that they were reading a novel and not a piece of nonfiction. In order to tackle the powerful stereotype against nonfiction books, I have created a list of the best nonfiction books that read like fiction from books I’ve personally read.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story - John Berendt

This book is well-known for reading more like a novel than a piece of nonfiction, and I would fully agree with that. Vividly set in Savannah, Georgia, this book follows author John Berendt as he falls in love with this picturesque Southern city and all the colorful characters he meets there. If that doesn’t sound engaging enough, the heart of the book focuses on a very real and publicized murder committed by one of Savannah’s wealthiest and most notable citizens, who goes through a remarkable four murder trials.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot

Rebecca Skloot’s passion for wanting to know more about Henrietta Lacks, a figure previously hidden in history, and her family seeps through every page in this intriguing book. This book goes into detail about how Henrietta Lacks, an African-American woman living in poverty who tragically died of cancer at age 31, will go on to become an important aspect in scientific research. Henrietta’s cells, known in the scientific and medical communities as HeLa, helps create the polio vaccine, and has been used for research concerning cancer, AIDS, radiation, and more. This book also asks important questions regarding patient consent (Henrietta did not agree to have her cells swabbed and grown, and her family remained in the dark for over twenty years), race, economic status, and much more.

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls

This is a book that sticks with you. Growing up in a wildly unique family that is always short on cash, travels in the way of nomads, and rejects even the most basic of human needs, Jeannette Walls looks back on her childhood and reveals a world that is unknown to most. This book contains shocking - and even upsetting - instances that go against everything the typical person associates with family and a normal life. A favorite book of all-time for me, this story definitely deserves a read.

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster - Jon Krakauer

If you have no knowledge of the 1996 disaster that took place on Mount Everest, this book offers a first-hand account on the day that took eight lives. An experienced mountaineer, Krakauer gets the opportunity to join a reputable expedition in the quest to climb Mount Everest. There, he bonds with the team and goes through the long, difficult process of preparing to reach the top of the world’s tallest mountain. On the fated day of reaching the top, an unexpected snowstorm hits, magnifying the usual life-frightening issues that go with climbing up to 29,029 feet. Tragedy ensues. This book was incredibly eye-opening.

Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

This book has enjoyed immense popularity and even has a movie with Julia Roberts starring in it. I think the hype surrounding this book is well-deserved. As Elizabeth Gilbert leaves the conventional forms of success behind, she eats her way through the indulgent landscape of Italy, learns about spirituality against the sparse yet breathtaking backdrop of India, and practices balance of both of these lessons in the tropical Bali. I enjoyed following her journey and reading about her travels. This is perfect for anyone with a case of wanderlust.

There are many other engrossing and fascinating nonfiction books out there, but out of the ones that I’ve read, these definitely stood out as some of the best, and are fine examples of how sometimes the truth is stranger (and more interesting) than fiction.