10 Reasons I'm Glad I Decided Against Attending A State School

Everyday I am reminded that I made the right decision to attend a smaller, private university.

176
Hadiya Afzal

Spring is finally here! The sun has been shining, and people are smiling more than ever. On these last few beautiful days, I’ve noticed the throng of people littering the quad on campus during the day — reading, sunbathing, playing frisbee, etc. Whenever I walk through the quad on a breezy, summer-like day, I’m reassured in my choice of school. The two schools I was caught deciding between were vastly different, and I am so glad I did not choose to attend a huge, public, state university for a variety of reasons.

1. Greek life is not all consuming

Of course, there's still plenty of sororities and fraternities at my school! However, the Greek life culture is not as prevalent and intense as it is at most state schools. If you want to be in Greek life, go for it! However, it is not my cup of tea, and I'm glad it's not super popular at my school.

2. I don't endure gross, sticky frat parties

Since Greek life is not all consuming at my school, there is no frat row. I don't have to go through the typical freshmen phase of having warm beer spilled on me while pressed up against sweaty strangers.

3. Classes/lectures are small

Although mandatory attendance can be annoying, having small classes is awesome because I can actually feel like I am part of the class/discussion. I'm more than just a number in the room, and I learn so much more with individualized attention.

4. My teachers know me

Having small classes is great because it allows you to build a personal relationship with your professor. My professors are super helpful with anything I need, and they actually care about how well I do in their class.

5. I see someone I know every time I am on campus

Going to a smaller school allows me to get to know a lot of people. It's so nice to walk across campus and see friends instead of strangers. The campus is not overwhelming in any way; it feels like a home.

6. I don't live in the middle of nowhere

A large school usually means having a large campus, which requires a lot of space. I know plenty of state schools (of course not all) that are surrounded by, well, nothing really. Going to school in the city means there is always somewhere to explore and something to do!

7. The walk to classes is short

An added benefit of having a small campus is the fact that all the academic buildings are close together! I don't have to endure a thirty-minute walk in winter; I can walk out of my dorm five minutes before class starts and still be on time.

8. I don't have to pretend to care about my school's sports teams

Sure, sports can be fun, but not attending a Big Ten school means that I can peacefully not attend games/tailgate without feeling left out. In fact, my school does not even have a football team!

9. I'm not expected to own every article of school merchandise

Part of not having amazing sports teams means that I'm not expected to bleed school pride in my wardrobe. I absolutely love my school, but I don't need to own 35 different t-shirts to know that!

10. I have more free stuff included in my tuition

Let's face it: college is expensive. Either way I was going to be spending the money, so I'm glad I go to a school that provides a lot of free amenities.

Wherever you chose to attend college, I hope your school makes you happy. Everyday I am reminded that this is where I should be, not at some state school!