No Sleep 'Til Zoom Bid Day

No Sleep 'Til Zoom Bid Day

Well, there used to be no "Zoom" in front of "Bid" but...

139
No Sleep 'Til Zoom Bid Day

Sorority rush. Whenever I hear these two words together, I would not expect a video call with a bunch of people, whom I was wanting to become a part of. Becoming a member of a sorority has always been a wish of mine, but realizing that the process would be taking place over Zoom, was a jawbreaker.

Whenever I thought of or heard "sorority rush," I would often think of people dressed up nicely trying to make lifelong connections and intuitively wishing for a bid in the back of their minds. I've never quite rushed for a sorority like I have done the past few days. The simplicity of using Zoom to get to know the sisters and the organization brought in a whole new world of fear and excitement. Having everything moved online paved the way for even more curiosity and hunger for what was to come.

First off, sorority rushing through Zoom proved to be a different kind of experience. The moment I stepped foot (or face technically) into the philanthropy round of the sorority I was rushing for, I felt as if I was in another realm. Because everything was on Zoom, it felt more as if it was an opportunity to maybe be able to listen more to what the sisters had to say, rather than trying to make a good impression. This is one of the things that I really enjoyed about the sorority rush through zoom.

Here are some more things that really struck out to me during rush season the past few weeks:

Friendlier vibes through online- There is just something about meeting people and talking to people through Zoom or another online platform that brings more politeness to the table. When I was in the philanthropy round and speaking with the sisters of the sorority, I realized we were exchanging a lot of "Sorry! You go first" when we accidentally cut each other off. This proves that Zoom has made us more polite and civilized individuals, when it comes to having discussions or conversations with each other.

Less Extrovertedness-For those of us who are struggling introverts, who do NOT do well with having conversations with others, the Zoom rush season may just be the helping hand we need. It is definitely a breath of fresh air for those of us who are worried about coming across as awkward when we talk to other people or are afraid of making a bad impression in person. Also, since everything is online, this takes away the need to be with a big crowd, which can get overwhelming.

No fancy outfits and heels needed!- Something I have noticed the recruitment chairs talk about is how when they were rushing for their sororities, their feet were killing them from the heels they had to wear to look nice and impress their sorority. However, now thanks to everything being done through Zoom, there is no need for tear jerking heels or any uncomfortable dresses or outfits! It was nice to not have to put up a facade and just be myself!

I found myself really enjoying the rush season this year. As someone who has never rushed with a sorority through an "official" rushing process, it was an eye opener and I don't think I really minded how it all took place through Zoom this year. Although it would have been more exciting if I got to be able to interact with the sisters and connect with them on a deeper level in person, I still got to be a part of it all. As they say, "No sleep 'til bid day."