New Year, Same Me

New Year, Same Me

Why I didn't make a New Year's resolution

8
New Year, Same Me
HD Wallpapers HD Pics

It's that time of year where tv shows are filled with commercials about setting New Years Resolutions such as losing weight, exercising more, or eating healthier. The most common resolutions I hear have something to do with weight or fitness in some way and there's nothing wrong with that. There's something about them that feel empowering and like you've got ahold of your life. In the past I've made resolutions like "Exercise four days a week", "Go for a walk everyday", or even "Lose 20 pounds" to ring in the new year. What usually happened was I would be dedicated to the goal for a week or two and then I'd work myself up because I felt like I'd never reach my goal. Then I'd just go back to my normal ways and act like nothing ever happened.

This year I decided not to make a New Years resolution because even though there's things I'd like to change about myself, I'd rather accept myself the way I am than work towards a number on the scale or a certain amount of time in the gym. Something I've learned over the years is even if I weigh less there will always be something I dislike about my appearance, which is why I'd rather not beat myself up to lose a certain amount of weight and just accept myself the way I am. I've also learned that my body and mind feel a lot better when I'm not focused on a numerical goal and when I listen to my body's cues. If I'm craving some pasta I'm gonna have some pasta. If I feel the need to lift some weights at the gym that's exactly what I'll do. I'll do these things because my body wants me to. Not because society thinks we should look a certain way or we should do certain things. Just because I'm not making a resolution doesn't mean I don't want to better myself. I just don't want to pressure myself and possibly set myself up to fail.

If any of you made a resolution for the new year and are still working towards it, good for you! But if you're like me and didn't make a resolution, don't worry about it. Just because you didn't make a resolution it doesn't mean you're not as dedicated as those who made resolutions. It just means you are content with where you are in your life and you don't feel the need to change anything. Or possibly you're like me and you don't do well under pressure. You can still have goals without having a New Year's resolution. We all have goals because it's simply part of life. My goal right now is to stay true to myself. It's not my New Year's resolution, but it's definitely a goal of mine. This new year I'm just going to be the same old me and that's fine because I'm pretty awesome just the way I am and so are you!