We Need to Get Rid of the SAT

The SAT Is Pointless

Does my future really depend on standardized testing?

3

When I was younger, I really loved school. I was a fast learner, I had a lot of friends and everything taught in school was pretty easy for me. That all changed when I got to high school. Not only did I go to a new school and had to make new friends, but I was struggling to keep an A average/high GPA. No one ever warned me high school is a completely different ballgame. You can't just walk into a test unprepared or not listen to a lesson. I had to put a lot of effort in order to keep my grades high.

Now fast forward to now. I'm currently in my junior year of high school. And I'm overly stressed, managing to keep a 3.7 GPA, and I have the SAT to worry about. I've taken the PSAT 3 times and every time I get my scores back, I'm not too happy with the scores. I look at my peers' scores and they exceeded much higher than I have. My scores aren't bad at all (according to PrepScholar, I'm actually above average) but I always tend to compare myself with others and it always makes me feel insecure.

The SAT is supposed to be a general test that students from all over the country should take when they feel they are ready and want to prove to colleges that they deserve to be there. But test taking isn't a strength for everyone. Evaluating a person's intelligence based off of how well they score on a test is unfair because there are so many students who are smart in different areas of learning. Sure there are tons of schools that don't require but I say we get rid of it all together.