13 Reasons We Did NOT Need A Season 3 OR 4 Of '13 Reasons Why'

Yes, they made another season (and they shouldn't have).

56
Hannah, finally at peace.

If you or someone you know is experiencing thoughts of self-harm and or suicide, know that you are never alone!! Reach out to a friend or a trusted adult. They would rather be there for you now than at your funeral.

For every 13 reasons why, there are 100 reasons why not.

Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

When "13 Reasons Why" first came out in 2017, critics and parents were quick to judge the show on its content. While it brought up serious topics that demanded attention, it appeared to "romanticize" the idea of suicide.

For those who aren't familiar, "13 Reasons Why" revolves around a high school girl, Hannah Baker, who leaves tapes depicting the 13 reasons why she tried to kill herself. The tapes revolved from person to person until they reached Clay Jensen, who did nothing except be afraid of loving her. He attempts to piece together the story and figure out who is really to blame.

I personally have a connection with the show, which is why I feel the need to watch it until the end. People at my high school had me evaluated for suicidal thoughts after I discussed a project revolving around the show, entitled "13 Reasons Why Not". I thought the title spoke for itself, but what can I say? At least they were being thorough (even though schools do a terrible job approaching mental health issues, which is definitely a topic touched upon in both the book and show). At the time, I was actually offended. That hadn't even remotely crossed my mind, but it felt like they were trying to push something onto me that wasn't there. I kept telling them it was a project, but they didn't want to believe me. They did a terrible job of making me feel comfortable. Suicide is not a joke. They were reading off a checklist instead of talking to me like I was a person.

I'll admit, I didn't mind the first season or even the second season. Suicide, sexual assault, and depression, especially in the teenage group, demanded more conversation between children and their parents. It was a decent adaption of the book (that I read in eighth grade, although some of it might have gone over my head). It was certainly controversial, but that was part of what made it so important.

However, when the third season rolled around, I was skeptical. Here the writers were, trying to bring in a new character that had nothing to do with the original story. She was too quick to be accepted into the friend group, and just happened to get into the friend group's growing pile of drama and secrecy.

I'm not going to list out the reasons one by one, but know they're all there.

Did I mention the season attempted to convince the audience to empathize with a rapist who not only raped one, but multiple girls? We get it, everyone is human, and there is a gray area. But that doesn't mean justifying his actions was necessary.

And they're still going. They want to drag the show on for another season of everyone hiding their secrets of who killed who and all their other drama. Yes, I'll watch it just to see how bad it is, but that doesn't mean I agree with the idea of another season. It isn't as though Netflix will gain subscribers or revenue. 'Outer Banks' was better than this nonsense!

I watched the first couple episodes, and I was baffled at all the things I never noticed watching the other three seasons. These actors don't look like high schoolers. They certainly don't act like it either. This is a common occurrence in most teen shows now, but they weren't even close.

And Ani, you're just annoying. They did not need to push Clay to have another girlfriend, especially this random annoying person who inserted herself into the friend group and its drama. The only characters I like are Alex and Justin. At least Justin is getting better. And his bromance with Clay is everything. (I won't give any spoilers to the spoiler I saw while writing this article. Going to go cry in the corner now.)

The least I can say is that Clay seems to finally react to all of the ridiculous drama and is showing some signs of PTSD. And who is this new guy trying to find out about Monty? It's like Ani all over again.

If you ask me, the show should have ended with Hannah's walking into the light at the end of season two. She was finally at peace, a peace she certainly did not have beforehand. The show was supposed to be about Hannah, and I understand that after that Hannah's story was ended, but that should have been the end. "If you love someone, you let them go," Clay says, and he finally puts Hannah to rest.

If you love something, let it go. Thank god this is the last season.