I Stopped Wearing Makeup, And I' Never Felt Stronger

I Stopped Wearing Makeup In Quarantine For These 4 Reasons, And I Feel Stronger Than Ever

Why bother with lipstick and a nose contour when we're all going to be wearing face masks, anyway?

232

Going into lockdown gave me anxiety about being able to properly color-match my foundation and concealer online but I never even got as far as putting on primer. Initially, I was nervous about having to order makeup while in quarantine, but I haven't even put it on!

I thought that going online for classes meant having to wake up and put on at least a little bit of cover-up and fill in my eyebrows, but thank God, I haven't had the energy to apply anything.

I put on a full face of makeup one time for a Zoom meeting and I actually thought I looked weird.

If somebody told me that one day I would think I looked weird with makeup on, I would've looked at them like they had three heads. But I really looked weird! Through the mirror and my Macbook camera I just didn't look right, I looked unnatural and one-dimensional.

I put on makeup because I thought it made me look more put-together and awake but instead I thought I just looked fake. Maybe it was the blush and bronzer that were put on to completely mask the unhealthy foods I was eating and the actual unhappiness I was feeling-- it was just false advertising.

If anything good comes out of my quarantine, it's that I have never taken such great care of my skin.

With all this time on my hands, no reason to wear makeup, and all these skincare TikToks finding me online, I had to invest time and money into trying new brands and products.

I have adopted a brand new skincare routine with all new products and my skin has never looked better! Is it the ingredients? Is it my limited exposure to sunlight and pollution? Is it the absence of cosmetics? All of the above? Probably!

I'm excited to go more natural after quarantine — I don't need cosmetics to make me feel like I have my sh*t together!

Cosmetics' marketing has always made me (and I'm sure a lot of people reading this) feel like if I own ____ product I will have the confidence to conquer my day, get a promotion, go on that date, etc.

But, it's not true! Of course, makeup can give you a sense of comfort, is a form of therapy, and is just downright fun to fall down the rabbit hole of products, but you do not need it to be productive!

I have finished my semester the strongest I ever have, got an internship, and pursued it well from my home, renovated my bedroom, all without wearing mascara.

Having the knowledge that I'm taking care of my skin and my body makes me feel normal and inspires me to be more productive.

Maybe the makeup trend of "less is more" will make a comeback and we'll ditch the intense bronzing and highlighting! After all, we're going to be wearing face masks so why bother with lipstick and nose contour, right?