Should I Go To Law School?

I Have No Idea What I Want To Do With My Future, But It’s My Choice And No One Else’s

I'm not sure of anything, but I'm sure I'm the one that gets to make the decision.

218
Lauren Gherna

For a couple of years now, I've been absolutely sure of one thing in my life: I want to go to law school after I finish my bachelor's degree. This career path allows me to study a subject I truly love—English—before buckling down and working toward a "practical" career.

Since making the decision to major in English, I've learned that it is actually one of the most practical degrees I could pursue as these programs teach students highly transferable skills that are more necessary now than ever, including the ability to analyze, write, and speak with skill. Most people would see this as a blessing, but I find it to be a curse.

You see, I'm very indecisive. Deciding what to do on a Friday night is hard enough, how am I supposed to decide what I want to do with my entire life? I have so many interests, many of them being social issues but some being purely academic, that I don't feel any one of them is stronger than any other. I fear that I'm going to miss an opportunity to do something amazing that I love—I don't want to make the wrong decision and be miserable.

As a college sophomore, I've begun seriously researching what could come next for me after college. With my English degree, the answer to that question is almost anything. I could work in traditional "Englishy" fields like editing and publishing or I could go on to work in something like business. Law has always been on my mind, but unlike other careers, I've found that the most important thing about deciding whether or not to go to law school is that you have to be absolutely positive that law is your passion. Most Internet resources for pre-law students emphasize that the high price tag of law school and the insane competition for jobs post-graduation mean you have to be willing to fight for your career. Here's the problem: I don't know if that's really what I want to fight for.

I know getting a law degree would allow me to fight to make the changes I want to see in the world. What I don't know is whether or not I will be satisfied with that method of change making. What if I could be more impactful with a different career path? I feel as though I need to hurry up and make a decision so I can begin tailoring the rest of my college years to fit whichever path I choose. I know I want to get a degree further than a bachelor's and that I want to be successful and impactful in my career, but how am I supposed to decide the best way for me to do those things when there's nothing I feel extraordinarily passionate about doing with my life?

I know I'm going to make a decision at some point, and I know there are going to be lots of opinions along the way. I don't want to let anyone down and I don't want to ignore valuable advice from people on the Internet that have real experiences with what I'm going through. However, it's my life and my decision. At the end of the day, I have to do what I want to because I'm the one that has to live with whatever my life becomes. For me, accepting that I have to put aside what everyone else is saying is by far the hardest part of this decision-making process. I hope that working through that fear will dig me out of my mid-college crisis because for now, that's the only plan I've got.