No, College Will Not Be "The Best Days Of My Life"

Because the best is yet to come.

133
wordpress

I refuse to believe that my time in college will be the best days of my life. I don't want to be clinging to my years in college, thinking that this is the epitome of my life/youth. Look, I enjoy college. I like it, I really do. I definitely like it more than high school (*shudder*). But it's not what I want to hold onto forever. I don't want to tell my kids one day, "Wow! My life sucked, but gee, college sure was a blast!"

There's nothing wrong with enjoying college, either. I participate. I am in organizations, I have an on-campus job, and I have friends. I am a fully submerged, all-out college kid.

But I'm not into the typical college scene. I don't party. I'm not a big alcohol fan. And when I tell people that, they just look at me like I smacked them in the mouth. Someone has even ASKED ME "So, what do you do for fun if you're not getting drunk or high?" Seriously? Is that what some people really think that's what life is chalked up to be? Just some boozed out daydream until you land a job and degree??? I can’t believe that. I mean, even Harry Potter knew that there was life after Hogwarts.

I have fun. I love to read. To write. To draw. I have fun just hanging out at home. I like to split a pizza with my man and watch Hulu all weekend. And sure, that doesn't mean that I don't like to go out and get all dressed up. Who doesn't, right?

But I know that's not all life is supposed to be. I don't want to be planning my outfit for that next frat party for the rest of my life. I'm planning a wedding. I'm planning a life. I'm building a home with my boyfriend. I'm investing in serious relationships, career opportunities, and myself. That's way more fun to me.

So, go out and have fun. Have nights you can't remember. I totally support you. Because that’s your life. You do you. But please don't tell me that these are the best days of my life. I want every day to have the possibility of being the best yet. What kind of life would it be if I thought that my four years in college will be it for me? That they're the best? I don't want that kind of pressure on myself, or on my days. I'm just taking it one day at a time.

Sometimes I have super great days, and some days I'm lucky if I remember to brush my hair. I'm learning. That's what college is about to me. I'm growing up, and while I might be enjoying my time in college.... I know that the best is yet to come.