9 Things Female Sports Fans Hear All The Time

Women who like sports hear a lot of BS.

28
Katie Ebner

Yes, I am a girl. Yes, I am also a sports fan. Women account for at least one-third of viewers in all major sports, yet we are still not treated equally in the world of sports. I have made several friends because of my passion for sports, but I have also lost friendships because of misogynistic stereotypes.

These stereotypes range from women not knowing anything about sports, to women only watching games because they find the players attractive. Whether you are a die-hard fan like me, or a casual sports spectator, here are nine things you have heard if you are a female sports fan.

1. "If you're a real fan, then name all of the team's players."

This is something I frequently hear, and it bothers me because the majority of casual sports fans would not be able to answer this question. Women are held to a higher standard than men sports fans and we are not easily welcomed into the boys' club of professional sports.

2. "Spell his name."

I remember being told to spell my favorite player's last name in middle school, because boys doubted that I actually knew the player whose jersey I wore. Luckily, I was a good speller.

3. "What team won the championship in 1947 and what are the names of the players on the team?"

You memorized decades-old sports facts? Cool story bro. I know how to Google too.

4. "I bet you just like to watch sports so that you can look at the attractive players."

No, actually, I enjoy watching teams compete at a high skill level and feeling a connection between the fans and players. Next time you want to bring up Alex Morgan in relation to her soccer skills though, let me know.

5. "I can't believe you call yourself a sports fan and don't know that."

You're right, not knowing one tiny piece of information takes away my credibility as a sports fan. I'll just show myself out, then.

6. "Women in sports media are ruining the viewing experience."

This is usually said by a bitter, sexist person who hates change. This same person will also have some hot takes about the new, attractive sidelines reporter this upcoming NFL season.

7. "You're a girl AND you like sports? Will you marry me?"

You should probably look for more than just these two qualifications in a significant other, considering a lot of women are sports fans.

8. "You'll never know as much as the guys do."

I'm sorry, I was too busy cleaning my fantasy football championship trophy to hear what you said. Can you repeat that, please?

9. "Isn't it annoying having to prove yourself all the time?"

Yeah, but at the end of the day, it's worth it.

While society has welcomed female sports fans more often in recent years, we still have a ways to go toward being treated with the same respect as our male peers. For now, we just have to channel our inner Serena, and wave goodbye to the haters.