My Nightmare About Being Abroad Is More Than Just A Funny Story

That dream was a wakeup call, for me, to refocus myself on Wake's campus and my amazing group of friends

75
Charlotte Wu

Just a disclaimer that this is just a dream of mine and most of the people in my dream are who my imagination made up.

It began with me waking up in a Wake Apartment abroad, probably somewhere in Vienna. It is in the morning and everybody in the apartment is awake. It is set up just like you would see in a suite style dorm: the living room in the middle and rooms in between. I either have a single, or I have a roommate that has not arrived yet. But that is not the point.

I go to the bathroom only to find it completely trashed and disgusting. I overheard my suitemates talking about this girl named Clara (a girl I created in my dream, I’ve never known her, I doubt she exists, or maybe she does) who has long, blonde and curly hair, got plastered and made a mess in the bathroom. I come out of the bathroom without using it and I see my friend Cupcake (clearly, this is a fake name).

Apparently, Cupcake is dating Clara now. And Cupcake starts accusing me of bullying his girl Clara and told me that was why she got plastered last night. I was like wait a minute, I did not do anything you just accused me of doing. I told him that I was in my room all night, unpacking. I am really upset that my friend Cupcake would do such a thing to me because I knew him even before he knew Clara (whoever she is).

Then, I unfriended him. I sit down on the couch. And this other dark-haired guy whose name I don’t know comes and sits next to me. He starts a conversation with me, nicely, and tells me that his room is right above mine. Me, still being upset, tells him what went on with Cupcake. And he uses my vulnerable moment to take advantage of me. He leans in and tried to kiss me.

Say what? Yes, what a twist.

I pushed him away while others, aka my suitemates, just sit on the couch and laugh at me. I try my best to get through to them and tell them about my feelings about what just happened. They are still laughing. I cannot stand it anymore so I storm out form the side door. I walk into a huge, beautiful garden with hundreds of Wake kids having a lunch party, enjoying themselves. I was struck by the sudden realization that this is my first day here and I already hate everyone that is living with me. I feel helpless.

Then, I woke up very relieved seeing my roommate’s bed and her stuff on the other side of the room, knowing that I am still on campus, I still have supportive friends and life is good.

For those of you who are wondering what is the point of me telling you the story. There are two points.

First of all, I was abroad last semester, in Flow House, Vienna. Rest assured when I tell you that going abroad is the best experience ever. It is nothing like my nightmare. I promise you it is worth it. I am not saying that it is all rainbows and ponies, but the views you are going to see, the people you are going to meet. It is so worth it.

My second point is to always be appreciative of what you have. I don’t want to preach but I am going to. I had a bad week last week. This week is not getting any better. I overcommitted myself with a lot of things. I constantly talk about how much I want to be back in Vienna and how much I miss being abroad without appreciating my amazing group of friends who are always there for me when I am in distress.

That dream was a wakeup call, for me, to refocus myself on Wake's campus and my amazing group of friends. One thing that I learned from my nightmare is that life is always better than the worst and with my amazing friends, I am going to be okay.