Should Nick Saban Try The NFL Again?

Should Nick Saban Try The NFL Again?

Alabama's football head coach Nick Saban has just won his fifth national championship at Alabama, and he now has a total of six national championships.

263
Should Nick Saban Try The NFL Again?
Wikipedia

University of Alabama's head coach of football, Nick Saban, has just won his fifth national championship at the U of A, and he now has a total of six national championships. He is currently tied with Bear Bryant for the most national championships won in college football by one coach, and Saban can pass Bryant if he stays at Alabama to win at least one more national championship.

Now, a lot of people think that Saban should stay at Alabama, continue to compete for national titles, and eventually retire from coaching after having a very successful career there, but I have a different opinion. I think that it is time for Nick Saban to make another attempt at coaching in the NFL, because he has almost nothing left to prove at the college level.

It is pretty evident that Saban is the greatest college football coach in history (which is a debate for another time) and his legacy is pretty much set. When people think of Saban, they will remember him for his college football dominance, and also his brief stint in the NFL. The one blemish on Saban’s resume is the fact that his brief NFL coaching career was abysmal.

He coached the Miami Dolphins for two seasons, failing to make the playoffs both years, and instead of signing future hall of fame quarterback Drew Brees, he decided to go with Daunte Culpepper, which was a terrible decision. Saban was still under contract with the Dolphins when he decided to leave the organization and coach Alabama. Some people think that he simply quit on the team, and that it was wrong for Saban to just leave the Dolphins like this. It is hard for me to determine whether or not it was wrong for Saban to leave the Dolphins because if he stayed, he might not have the legacy he has today.

If Saban stayed, he probably would not have become the head coach of Alabama, and instead of saying that Saban is the best college football coach ever, we might just look at him as a pretty good coach, and not a legendary one.

I also think that Saban has probably learned a lot since his short coaching tenure in the NFL. If he were able to win a Super Bowl, not only would he be one of the greatest college coaches ever, but he would simply be one of the greatest coaches, period. I believe that there are many NFL organizations that would love to hire Nick Saban, some of them being the Giants, Colts, Lions, and Cardinals.

Saban has definitely earned another chance at coaching in the NFL, and now he has a lot more experience under his belt. Obviously, coaching in the NFL is very different than coaching in college and I think he knows this. What it really comes down to is whether or not Saban wants to travel to unknown territory, or stay in an environment that he knows all too well.

Personally, I would love to see Saban try again in the NFL. I think that he has what it takes to be a successful NFL head coach but he has yet to prove it. Only time will tell whether or not he will make the leap to the NFL, and it’ll be interesting to see what he decides to do in the near future.