Maybe I'm Afraid Of Karma, But I'll Be Nice Even When You're Not

Aren't people supposed to treat you the way they want to be treated?
91

Do you ever notice how some people are just really mean? Yeah, me too.

I was told from a young age that people would treat me the way I treated them, and I'm here to tell you that there has never been a statement so wrong. Throughout my life, I have treated others with the kindness and the respect that I would want, and only a handful of people have shown me the same.

Frankly, I'm tired of it, but I'm not going to stop.

I could easily go about life giving others the same shitty attitude they give me, but whats the point? It's not going to make me a happier person. What happens if I develop this attitude and then run into someone who is actually kind?

I'm always nice to people; there's no reason not to be. Although I'm getting tired of other people behaving horribly, I can't stand the idea of not being the better person. When my lab partners didn't send me the reading I asked for because the book I needed never got to me, I didn't make a fuss.

As much as I hate to say it, but if either of them asked for a reading, I'd still send it to them because that's how I'd want to be treated. I know you may think that's stupid, but it's the truth.

Recently, I had a classmate ask me to take him to a show we had to attend for class. I agreed, and even changed the date I was going to go to accommodate him. What does he do? He puts on his headphones and ignores me the entire trip. Why? I guess because I was just too kind.

It's hard to admit that I'm still nice to people even when I'm not treated the same. It could just be that I'm afraid of karma, but I think it's going to take a lot for me to give up on this. After someone's been rude to me, I just distance myself rather than make a scene. Hopefully, I'll end up running into some people who act the way I do, but until then I'll be perplexed by those who insist on being assholes.