NFL ran-check: The analysis of the AFC West - Kansas City Chiefs blow to the attack

Before the start of the regular season, ran takes a close look at the eight divisions of the NFL. This time: The AFC West with the Denver Broncos, the Kansas City Chiefs, the Las Vegas Raiders and the Los Angeles Chargers.

28

The NFL season 2021 is just around the corner. The cadres of the teams receive the final touches during the preseason. ran checks all eight divisions before the start of the season - this time with AFC West.

Offense:

The quarterback question in Denver has been resolved: Teddy Bridgewater was able to prevail against Drew Lock in the pre-season and will lead his team as a starter on matchday 1. Compared to Lock, Bridgewater is the safer option. The veteran makes few mistakes and moves well in the pocket. But Bridgewater rarely delivers big plays.

But the 28-year-old has a top offense at his side. With Melvin Gordon and rookie Javonte Williams, Denver has an explosive duo in the backfield that will probably split the tasks.

Bridgewater's pass recipients are also dynamic: Courtland Sutton returns after recovering from injury, Jerry Jeudy and KJ Hamler are entering their second season. Jeudy impresses with very good route running and creates many yards after the catch, Hamler's top speed (4.36 seconds at 40 yards) makes him a constant danger for big plays. Even the fourth option, Tim Patrick, surprised after Sutton's injury in 2020 and, in a more prominent role, scored 742 receiving yards and 6 touchdowns with no drop.

The tight ends also offer a lot of potential: Noah Fant and Albert Okwuegbunam are one of the most athletic duos in the NFL and shine with their almost infinite range, especially in the Redzone. The Broncos don't just have strong skill position players. Right tackle Bobby Massie strengthens the offensive line and forms a strong tackle duo with Garrett Bolles. The Interior Line around Lloyd Cushenberry, Graham Glasgow and Dalton Risner round off a solid unit.

Defense:

Von Miller is back! The 2015 season Super Bowl MVP reinforced a Pass Rush that was already in the top 10 of the NFL in 2020. Working alongside Bradley Chubb, Miller could help build the 2.6 sacks per game from the preseason. In the Interior Line, the versatile Shelby Harris was also kept, who has his strengths against the barrel, but also helps out in the Pass Rush situation.

Alexander Johnson and Josey Jewell will also start the season as starting linebackers in 2021. Johnson and Jewell don't impress with explosive plays, but they do their job largely without major mistakes.

An already good secondary was reinforced in the draft: Patrick Surtain came as the ninth pick and already showed in the preseason how far the youngster is in his development. The Free Agency signed Kyle Fuller and Ronald Darby also strengthen the position group enormously and fight with Surtain for the two starter slots Outside. Bryce Callahan is seeded in the slot as one of the best defenders in the league.

The Safetys Justin Simmons and Kareem Jackson keep the store closed at the back. Simmons has been one of the most consistent safetys in the league for years and secures the airspace like no other. The 27-year-old has a nose for the ball, in 2020 Simmons collected 5 interceptions. Jackson has been in the league since 2010, but still delivers - whether against the pass or the run. Last year Jackson only allowed one touchdown.

Player to watch: Javonte Williams

Despite still having Melvin Gordon on the squad, the Broncos struck in the second round, drafting running back Javonte Williams. At college in North Carolina, Williams excelled with a very tough running style. The 21-year-old was difficult to stop and regularly broke tackles. Scouts were particularly impressed by the way he kept his balance with hits. It wouldn't be surprising if he sooner or later overtook Gordon's rank as a starter.

Forecast:

The Broncos have a playoff team - actually. Because in the most important position, Bridgewater is a player who is a good game manager - but nothing more. In today's NFL Power Rankings, is it enough to have a good defense paired with a quarterback who at least doesn't lose games? If Bridgewater can surpass itself with its explosive weapons, the post season should definitely be possible.