How I See This Year's NFL Draft Class

How I See This Year's NFL Draft Class

Who do you want your favorite team to pick in the draft? Here's some of the top players at each position.

107
How I See This Year's NFL Draft Class
@nfl

The 2018 NFL Draft is days away and this year’s class has much upside. Every spring the draft marks the beginning of a new NFL season and fans are given new hope in the form of a new draft class. There are many big names this year at every position. Scouts, coaches, and general managers have been working hard for months and even years, to ensure their team picks a future superstar.

The first round kicks off Thursday, April 26th and there is much speculation about quarterbacks, running backs, pass rushers and defensive backs. Who will pick the first quarterback? Whose draft stock is going to drop? Are any teams going to make any wild trades? For months, TV analysts do their best to answer these questions. Even fans have their Facebook posts that supposedly have all the answers. I don’t have all the answers, but I can certainly share my input on this year’s class.

There are hundreds of mock drafts out there, but I prefer to look at the three best players by position this year and where their draft stock lies.

Quarterbacks: Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, and Baker Mayfield

USC’s Sam Darnold is exactly the kind of quarterback every team is looking for. He’s strong, athletic, and tough. Over his two years at college, he had many turnovers, which is the one knock on Darnold. For the other school in Los Angeles, UCLA’s Josh Rosen is a solid pocket passer. He doesn’t have a great arm, but it’s a good arm. The only concern for me is injuries can he play a full 16-game season? Baker Mayfield became an Oklahoma legend during his time at OU.

I could go on and on about his college career. He is a proven winner, a playmaker, and his teammates would “run through a brick wall” for him. Many have questioned his character, as his off the field antics could hurt him when it comes to draft day.

Running Backs: Saquon Barkley, Derrius Guice, and Sony Michel

Saquon Barkley might be the best overall player in the draft. He can do it all. He’s a workhorse and his versatility makes him a double-edged sword. The Penn State playmaker is certainly worth a top 3 pick. Guice made heads turn at LSU. He’s exactly the kind of runner NFL teams are looking for. Tough and hard-nosed. Sony Michel had a breakout year at Georgia in 2017. He rushed for 1,227 yards and 16 touchdowns last season. Michel could also pose a threat in the passing game.

Wide Receivers: Calvin Ridley, James Washington, and Deion Cain

Calvin Ridley was Alabama’s top target in 2017. He ran strong routes for the National Champions and has good hands. Washington has been a deep threat for Oklahoma State for years. He can give any NFL team a vertical threat when it comes to the passing game. Deon Cain has the speed and elusiveness to make plays down the field. He was a stand out for the Clemson Tigers and he has that same potential in the NFL.

Tight Ends: Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews, and Troy Fumagalli

Hurst is a rising prospect in the past weeks. He has good hands and he had a strong showing at the NFL Combine. Mark Andrews was Baker Mayfield’s top target for Oklahoma. He won the Mackey award in 2017 as the nation’s top tight end. Troy Fumagalli was the best tight end in the Big Ten last year. He is a reliable pass-catcher and a strong blocker. He should be high on most draft boards.

Offensive Linemen: Quenton Nelson, Orlando Brown, and Connor Williams

Quenton Nelson is coming off his best season at Notre Dame. He will be selected in the top 10, since several teams have a need for pass protection, including the Buccaneers, Bears, and 49ers. Brown has the size, strength, and power to be a good offensive tackle for years. He could be the key to a team who struggles with pass protection. Williams is a solid tackle and his draft stock can rise during the draft.

Pass Rushers: Bradley Chubb, Marcus Davenport, and Vita Vea

NC State’s Bradley Chubb is another top 5 pick who will terrorize quarterbacks. He is fast off the edge which would be an asset to any team in the draft. Davenport may come from a small school, UTSA, but his quickness and energy will be valued high come draft night. Vita Vea can not only get after the quarterback, but he's a strong run stopper up the middle. He can help any team that struggles with the interior line.

Linebackers: Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, and Rashaan Evans

Roquan Smith was the Butkus Award winner in 2017 as the nation's best linebacker. Smith was the leader of the Georgia defense and his athleticism will make him a highly attractive selection. Edmunds has great quickness and can be a force on the edge. Alabama has always produced great linebackers, and Rashaan Evans could be next in line. He is a sideline to sideline player and a fierce tackler from the middle.

Cornerbacks: Denzel Ward, Mike Hughes, and Josh Jackson

Ohio State’s Denzel Ward has the potential to be a day 1 starter in the NFL. Ward has been a shutdown corner for the Buckeyes, he has the speed and athleticism to be a top 10 pick. Hughes is a solid corner and an even better kick returner. His playmaking ability will help his draft stock. Josh Jackson has the ball skills to be a good corner. A poor combine performance may hurt him, but he can still help a defense create turnovers.

Safeties: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, and Ronnie Harrison

Fitzpatrick was a dominant defensive back for Alabama. He can play all positions and his football IQ makes him a can’t miss player. James is a very athletic safety and he is an enforcer in the defensive backfield. He made big plays for Florida State in 2017 and he’ll do the same in the NFL. Ronnie Harrison played alongside Fitzpatrick for the Crimson Tide and he is just as good. He is a hard hitter and great downfield tackler.

The NFL Draft is where someone’s dreams come true- a chance to play professional football. 32 players will be selected Thursday night, and 32 dreams will be made. We can all predict where a certain player may land, what trades will be made, and who will slip. But the bottom line is, we’ll just have to trust the process.