College Football Is 100% Better Than The NFL

And the reason why has nothing to do with the National Anthem.

169
Jonathan Moreau on Flickr

I "get up for gameday" every Saturday morning at approximately 8:30 A.M. I go to sleep when the last game is over. I've been an Alabama football fan since I watched my first full college game. I've never missed a game since then. I was even the kicker on my high school team. I do laundry, organize my notebooks, dust my keyboard, clean out my spam folders, or complete some other nearly-pointless task on Sundays. I have never been an NFL fan, and it almost hurts me to watch an entire game. While I will watch (maybe) a quarter of the Steelers games with my dad, I hardly ever get excited over it. Most people assume this when I say that I'm a college football obsessed individual, and I hate pro: I don't get that these guys have talent, I don't know the game, or something similar. Well, I'll break down the real reason that the NFL is falling apart and college football is thriving.

1. You don't have to pay some outrageous amount to make sure you can see your college team play.

There have been millions of Sunday mornings when I can hear my dad drop a four-letter word, and I know what's coming next - "Really?! They aren't gonna show the Steelers game on TV?!" I typically go into a spill about how stupid that is. There are exactly eight games on at 1:00 on October 22nd; there are four on at 4:25-ish. Can anyone explain to me why I only get to see four total games during the day this coming up Sunday? Don't waste your breath, I'll never get it. Hypothetically, if you watched every game in your market (plus Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night), you would only see HALF of the games this week. So if you're like my dad (someone who lives in south Georgia and is a die-hard Steelers fan), you're screwed 50% of the time. I can watch nearly every college game, from everywhere, no matter what time it is. So what if there are twenty games starting at one time? We'll throw some games on some alternate channels! When they fill up, we'll figure something out. Oh, we'll live stream them on the ESPN app, or even the teams' athletic website! No need to spend $300 per year here, "out-of-market" isn't a phrase in the college football fan's vocabulary.

2. Why doesn't a loss matter to the millionaires?

So, we're going into week six in the NFL and 3-2 teams are excited? What? A two-loss team in college football can still make a bowl game, possibly a non-Power Five conference championship, but... excitement? Playoff hopes would be pretty much dead, and next year's recruits would start putting one foot out the door. Why do NFL teams rejoice? This is where the value of a win comes into play. Every game must be won in CFB, but NFL is so lax that the games become boring. You lose the ones that don't matter and actually try to win the ones that sorta do. You should always give it everything you've got to win a game, no matter it's statistical importance.

3. Passion is everything.

These kids play for free. Approximately 1.5% of the people that currently play for an FBS school will go to the NFL. The others will find something else to do. So, why would you play a game that almost guarantees that it won't provide a career? Because of the passion you have for it. NFL players don't have the heart that CFB kids do. You can tell by how they play, speak, act online, etc. This adds up until Sundays become no fun.

4. Traditions give you chills.

Have you ever seen VT run out to Enter Sandman, carrying the lunch box? If you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up right now. You won't regret it. Have you ever seen Clemson (it hurts to write this) run down the hill and touch the rock? I like to watch the beginning (only the beginning) of FSU games just because Osceola and Renegade are so fun to see in action. Watch the Razorback fans Call the Hogs. The Ramblin' Wreck at Georgia Tech is... interesting? Regardless, it's original. Watch Texas A&M's Midnight Yell Practice. I'm not going to touch on rolling Toomer's Corner, but when Updyke poisoned the trees it was not a boring news day. If you've ever seen Freedom's Flight at Georgia Southern, you've been amazed. Nearly every college team brings a live animal with them across the country to away games! Even when the live mascot is sleeping, the regular ole mascots are fun to watch too! The Leprechaun at Notre Dame is simply wild. Florida has two - Albert and Alberta Gator. TCU's Superfrog is hard not to watch. The VT Hokie is never a let-down. Ohio State's Brutus Buckeye is a total nut - literally and figuratively. Big Al is the best, however. He even has his own calendar photo-shoot every year. NFL teams...The Terrible Towels, Lambeau Leap, and the pirate ship in Tampa Bay? That's the best you've got? I'm not entertained.

5. Who wrote the NFL rulebook?

I mean, seriously. Your overtime rules make no sense, and they change every year. They're boring. Why doesn't the clock stop on first-downs? That makes for amazing last-second finishes in college. The people who made-up these rules ruined the possibility for nail-biter finishes.

6. Defining a catch shouldn't feel like reading an abstract poem.

Okay, I can't leave the rulebook guy alone yet... a football move? What? Why do two feet have to be in-bounds? Should all receivers take the ball home, fix it dinner, sleep with it, and have breakfast made for it when it wakes up? C'mon man, keep it logical: control + 1 foot in = catch!

7. Pride > Paycheck

Ask any NFL player; they'll tell you. The brotherhood that comes from CFB teams means more than the big bills and fancy life. In CFB it's about the game, the love your team, and making a statement on the field. In NFL, you just make a rap about getting a multi-million dollar pay increase before you agree to go to preseason games for YOUR OWN TEAM (I'm talking about you, Antonio Brown), and stupid PR stunts to make a statement on the sidelines/off the field that has nothing to do with the game. College is even more fun for the people who play!

8. Student sections, tailgating...duh...

There's an energy at a CFB game that the NFL can't match. They start tailgating on Friday and don't stop until Sunday evening. The student section is deafening, and rightfully so. An NFL game feels like a business meeting, or a Sunday stroll, not a football game. It looks like the fans are even getting bored with it.

9. College Gameday is better than any Sunday morning NFL countdown show.

They're actually on a college campus - how cool! They aren't all business in a fancy studio. The game day signs are so fun to read during the show. You see marriage proposals, friendships in the making, mega-fans, kids on their parents' shoulders begging to catch Lee Corso's headgear pick (and hopefully make sure his team avoids that curse), and so much more. On the NFL Sunday pregame show on FOX that is called something not memorable, you see a cartoon robot. Nothing else.

10. Bowl games > Lengthy postseasons

It all comes down to this - the postseason. College is simple: conference championship to final ranking to bowl game. If you're lucky enough to be in the top four and win your bowl game, you play in the championship. A bowl game has a ton of notoriety, and it can save a coach's job just by making one. A playoff berth is expected in the NFL and everyone has a pretty good chance of doing it - 38%. Sure, CFB does invite a lot of bad teams to bowl games, but they don't have a chance of going to the championship. They play, go home, and rest up for the spring. That gives the actual CFB playoff some more power and meaning. NFL only gets serious until the conference championships, and it still sucks then.