Don't Forget, News Media Always Has A Hidden Agenda

A reminder of how the media can manipulate us.

775
Heavy.com

Media transforms our lives as humans, but there are inherent flaws in this form of communication. Higher education in the communication department has taught me about the biases gatekeepers use to keep the masses out of the loop with their agendas. Gatekeepers choose what content is sent out to you, me, and everyone else in the First World. As a result, our opinions and knowledge are limited and manipulated by this paradigm of information distribution.

One example, which illustrates this point to its core, is how pictures of criminals or victims are meant to either build sympathy or condemn whoever is on the metaphorical chopping block. Brock Turner was found guilty of sexually assaulting a drunk, unconscious woman, but the ubiquitous picture representing this refined individual would make any rational person wonder how he would be involved in this situation. I mean, how does a blue-collar button up, red tie, blazer and broad smile relate anything to raping an unconscious person? Well, the reality is, it does. The problem is that people in all different shapes, sizes, apparel, etc. become predators of the night repeatedly. So, why should an individual like Brock deserve anything less than his mugshot carpet bombed throughout the media? Yes, everyone deserves a fair trial when accused of anything-- however, to remain indifferent towards the accused, pictures like the one of Mr. Turner should not be the main connection.

This kind of media tactic is seen time and time again. The pictures and even content in the media fabricate our perceptions of many events going on in our world. Ultimately, we have to recognize this manipulation and do our own research if we want to get closer to the truth.