New Year's Resolutions Are Still In

New Year's Resolutions Are Still In

Progress is progress.

5
New Year's Resolutions Are Still In

The end of 2019 is rapidly approaching and a new decade is on the horizon. 2020. For most of us, it'll be our young adulthood, our 20s. I've never been the type of person to set New Year's Resolutions because of one promise I've made to myself. Every single day, we have the ability to change our lives. Self-improvement does not have a fixed date, it can happen anytime and anywhere. It starts with having the desire to change your life. This year, it just so happens that my mindset is changing right as the year is coming to an end.

2019 was one of the best years of my life. I've held down my first job, graduated from high school, gotten into college, and cultivated and strengthened so many relationships. The beginning of 2019 feels like another world to now. I've grown, I've become so much more self-aware. The biggest thing that changed for me in 2019 was that I finally feel like an adult. Now, I believe this new sense of independence will carry over into 2020.

However, there are a lot of people that don't believe in New Year's Resolutions, calling them stupid or unrealistic. Of course, there is the running joke that the gym and the parks are packed in the first two weeks of January and that by February, everything is back to "normal". But, New Year's Resolutions that are set for the wrong reasons are bound to fail. A goal needs tangible steps, accountability, and inner motivation. But, don't let that stop you. Fix your goals and expand upon them; it'll only help you achieve them.

Progress is progress. Don't shame someone for trying to improve their lives. Yes, they may make mistakes, and yes they may ultimately fail to reach their goal, but that's none of your business. Watching someone and waiting for them to slip up is beyond messed up.

If you want to improve your life and try to make better choices in the future, then go for it. Don't let anyone stop you or deter you from living your best life.