New Year, New Me?

Reflecting and evaluating are two things I do best. After all, hindsight vision is 20/20, right? With the end of 2014 and the beginning of 2015, there are many resolutions and goals in the making.   

Do we ever really keep those goals past February if we’re lucky? Hit the gym four times a week or make straight A’s.  We start off with the fire to become a new and improved person in the coming year. However, every year, I look back and realize how few of my resolutions I actually kept for those 365 days the past year. If I hang on to one of them, I consider it to be a successful year.   

But maybe we’re focusing on the wrong goals.   

How about instead of wanting to lose 10 pounds or two waist sizes we focus on saying one nice thing to one person every day? How simple would that be? Instead of making the new year about improving ourselves, what if we focused on improving the lives of the people we do life with on a daily basis and often times take for granted? They are the people that have always been there for us throughout the past year and will continue to support us for many days to come.   

Why don’t we make it a resolution to stop looking back at the past? We do it when things are good, when things are bad or when life seems to be at a standstill. We compare where we are to where we’ve been instead of looking forward to where we want to be. But we always seem to remember the past as better than it actually was. Research shows that retrieving a memory involves both enhancing the information you want to retrieve as well as hindering competing (negative) memories.   

How about something as simple as putting our phones away for an hour a day? As hard as it is to disconnect, sometimes I feel relieved when my phone dies while I’m out because it’s a chance to not have to respond to everyone. Emails, texts and social media notifications: we are all guilty of obsessively checking and becoming a slave to our own profiles.   

So with the first week of 2015 beginning, what resolutions do you have? Will it be to offer words of kindness or to do something you may not want to but that will help someone else have a better day?

Excitement and anticipation always hit with the start of something new, including a new year. There are endless possibilities for what can happen. My final resolution this year is to never say “no” to any invite, party or opportunity.   

Great things happen when you live in the moment and say “yes” for a change.