A New View On Online Shopping

A New View On Online Shopping

Why online shopping may not be our saving grace

50
A New View On Online Shopping
Panthon UK

As I selectively paw though my seemingly bland outfits on a Sunday night, I realize that nothing matches. As a college student with no car, buying outfits online becomes my saving grace. I thank the heavens above to whoever was brilliant enough to begin putting outfits online. It never ceases to amaze me how something I only have seen on a screen can become mine with only a simple transaction all without having to move that many muscles.

So why isn’t online shopping something that is all wonderful and extraordinary? Here a few things you may want to think about before purchasing a big-ticket item, as they say.

Free Shipping That Requires a Minimum Buying Amount

I try to consider myself as frugal, but when big retail industries offer free shipping on my items for a low price of $50 in my bag (not including discounts), I lose it. Everything I find mutally attractive catches my eyes. There is a frantic voice in my head that says I must have this! If I don’t, my life won't be complete!! However, it results in me spending more than I had actually planed on spending in the first place, so the idea of being frugal has completely gone out the window.

Paying Methods

To pay for online merchandise, you have to have a credit card or at least a debit card. Credit cards can kind of be scary. I’ve heard countless stories about people who have wound up in endless credit card debt and bad credit just because they missed a couple of payments. I have tried to avoid the whole situation by using a debit card when I do online shopping, but even that’s not safe. Every time you make a purchase, the company asks for the expiration date and security number on the back of the card to make the purchase. Having all of that information available to hackers if the connection isn’t secure is dangerous and can lead to identity theft.

Reliable Internet Connection

Having a reliable and a secure internet connection is a luxury many people long for. If the connection goes out when you are ordering merchandise online, you have to start the whole process over again in addition to reconnecting back to the internet. Having a bad or iffy internet connection can also turn shopping into a longer process than was originally planned for.

Misleading Products

Something might look glamorous online, but the moment its shipped to you and you take it out of the box, the material is see-through, too low cut, or maybe not even your size. The disillusionment of wearing it forever disappears. This might be the fault of the store itself, but it can be a hassle to send it back, get a refund, and have to deal with the same problem if it happens again.

Trust me: I’m not bashing online shopping at all. I personally love it, but when online shopping interferes with your homework and daily life like it has mine, it’s best to take a step back and take a reality check.