Essentials For Decorating Your Dorm Room

12 Decor Items That Are Essential For Spicing Up That Bland Room Of Yours

Tried and true decor items with varying prices.

161

It's college move-in day. You unlock the door to your assigned dorm room and stare in awe. This looks nothing like "Zoey 101."

Immediately after finding out which hall I was assigned to for my freshman year of college, I went straight to YouTube to search up "Hatch Hall Dorm Room Tour." After getting an insight into what my home for the next 10 months looked like, I logged onto Pinterest to find ways to spice up a plain and bland dorm room. A-Ha! I've found the goldmine.

Suddenly, my Pinterest feed is overflowing with inspiration. I decided to dedicate a whole Pinterest board to my future college dorm makeover. Here, I've included some of my favorite decor items that I think will make any dorm room feel more like home and a bit more welcoming. Along with listing these tried and true decor items, I've included various stores that have these items for sale with varying prices. So here's to decorating a 130-ish sqft room! Oh, and don't forget shower shoes.

1. Macrame

Etsy: Large Macrame Wall Hanging in Woven Style

West Elm: SunWoven Natural Wall Hanging

World Market: Coral And Gray Fringed Wall Hanging

Modern Macrame: Custom Wall Hangings

2. Pegboard

Lowes: 1-Piece Hardboard Pegboard

Amazon: Craveit Plastic Decorative DIY Wall Pegboard

Ikea: White Pegboard

Amazon: Pegboard Room Organizer

3. Hanging plants

Etsy: Macrame Plant Hangers

Target: Set of 2 Planter Decorative Wall Sculpture

Wayfair: Addison Succulent 3-Piece Steel Wall Planter

Amazon: 3 Pack Macrame Plant Hanger

4. Letter board

Amazon: Felt Letter Board

Etsy: Letter Board

Target: Black Letter Board with Gray Trim

Letterfolk: The Poet White

5. Throw blanket/throw pillows

TJ Maxx: Mudcloth Cotton Throw

World Market: Ivory Fringe Indoor Outdoor Lumbar Pillow

Pottery Barn: Awning Stripe Throw

Roolee: Magnolia Home Margaret Oblong Pillow

6. Hanging wall art

World Market: Black Botanical Linen Scroll Wall Hangings Set of 2

Urban Outfitters: Wooden Print Dowel Hanger

Smallwoods: Canvas Hanging Print

Urban Outfitters: Quibe Close Art Print

7. Rug

West Elm: Souk Wool Rug

Joss and Main: Fontanne Bright White/Parfait Pink Area Rug

West Elm: Framed Arrows Indoor/Outdoor Rug

Wovenly: Boho/Bohemian Geometric Area Rug

8. Fairy lights

Amazon: Decorative Fairy Battery Powered String Lights

Michaels: LED String Lights, Copper

West Elm: LED String Lights, Sphere

Target: Fairy String Lights

9. Cart on wheels

Ikea: Utility Cart, White

Target: 3-Tier Metal Utility Cart

Office Depot: 3-Tier Steel Rolling Storage Cart, Pale Blue

At Home: White 3 Tier Flora Cart

10. Tapestry

Society6: Sierra Floral Wall Tapestry

PBTeen: World Map Tapestry

Urban Outfitters: Sketched Floral Medallion Tapestry

Red Bubble: Philadelphia (Yellow) Wall Tapestry

11. Rope rainbow wall art

Etsy: Neutral and Knotted Fiber Rainbow Wall Hanging

Pure Sweet Joy: Rope Rainbow Wall Decor

Etsy: Fiber Rainbow "Blue Lagoon"

Lavender Julep: DIY Rainbow Fibre Art Wall Hanging

12. Curtains

Target: Clipped Sheer Curtain Panel Radiant Gray

JCPenny: Liz Claiborne Quinn Lattice Grommet - Top Curtain Panel

Kohls: LC Lauren Conrad Lucie Side Ruffle Window Curtain

Pier1: Mila Pompom Ivory 84" Grommet Curtain