New Kid On The Block: 7 Things You Need To Survive College

The things you need to bring to college with you that you must not forget to pack.

13
Tyvel Brown Road to College

So, you're college bound, huh? When you're about to transition into your new home, there is a lot of excitement, anxiety and fear that comes into play. No one can really prepare you for college, because each of us will have our own journey, some easier than others. Let's face it...when people think of college they think of one thing: partying. "College looks great in all the movies: attractive people, late nights and free booze!"

Unfortunately, that is only a small fraction of what you really do at school, and some prefer not to at all. My transition to college, for lack of better words, kicked me in the ass. I pictured college as a fantasy land. New people, awesome food and freedom. While all of these things were part of my college experience, what I wasn't prepared for was the wave of emotions that would hit me along with everything else.

Here are a few things that I wish I would've brought along with me for my freshmen year of college. I promise they will make your transition a little easier.

1. Big Girl Panties.

As I said before, college is not all rainbows and flowers. There will be stressful classes, annoying roommates and surges of homesickness. While it is very easy to shut down and feel sorry for yourself, the only choice you really have when the going gets tough is to put on your big girl panties and grow up. As my good pal Kelly Clarkson would say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I would be lying if I told you I hadn't rocked out to this song a few times my first semester. Also, make sure you are in your room alone if you go for the guitar solo.

2. A Coffee Addiction.

If you didn't drink coffee in high school, you're gonna have to learn to love it! Are you used to having one cup of joe in the morning and being set for the entire day? Nope, not anymore. Get ready for post 8 am coffees, coffees with lunch, the afternoon drag espresso and if you've got an exam the next day, you might as well just drag your Keurig around campus with you, because one cup isn't gonna cut it in the big leagues.

3. Walking Shoes.

Now I'm not saying you have to break out the Shape-Up Sketchers and go full on soccer mom on me, but the wedges aren't gonna cut it on most campuses ladies (or guys, whatever you're into). More than likely, you're gonna be hauling ass just to get to class, so you might as well be comfortable.

4. Newfound Love of Fitness.

There's this super hip thing called the freshman 15 that some of you may be familiar with. I'm sure some of you may have noticed cousins, friends or neighbors coming back a little rounder around the belly after their first taste in the real world. The late nights filled with cheap liquor and pizza don't exactly set you up for the perfect summer body. The only way to avoid this is by hitting the gym. Even though it sounds horrid at first, making a routine and going to the gym four times a week with a friend could make all the difference. Plus, it's a huge stress relief.

5. Things that Remind You of Home.

I don't care who you are, when you're used to living at home for 18 years and are thrown into a new world, things aren't always easy; you get homesick. Bring as many picture frames, letters, whatever you can find from friends and family to remind you of home. Having a piece of a loved one with you at all times can mend a homesick heart.

6. An Agenda.

In high school you may have gotten by with writing your homework on your hand. Sorry, not gonna cut it in the real world. Juggling 15 credits, club meetings, practices and even thinking about having a decent social life does not come easy, you have to work that planner honey! You don't have to go full-on event planner like me, but it is a must to have some sort of organization.

7. An Open Mind.

Probably the most important thing you can bring with you for any new chapter in your life is an open mind. Starting school and living on your own for the first time is not easy, but you have the power to make it wonderful. Don't be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone and try new things, you will find your place in your new home. Just have a little faith and an open mind, and I know you can do it.