New Girl In School

New Girl In School

9
New Girl In School

At Michigan State women recognize themselves as all sorts of diverse identities ranging from hard worker, to athlete, to bookworm, to even the scandalous cat lover. Starting this past fall semester there has recently been a new identifier stepping foot on campus as she boldly represents an organization known for its outstanding qualities. Unlike anything ever done before at this university she is taking a step into uncharted territory thus branding herself as the “new girl” on campus, but fortunately she is not alone. With the help of about 130 of her new sisters, together they all represent the “new girl” as they make a name for themselves and stand together as one.  These new girls may not be world renown like the famous women listed above, but they are changing the course of Michigan State’s Greek life history and are embarking on a journey that Michigan State has yet to experience.

Every woman has some kind of identifier. Susan B. Anthony was a fighter, fighting for her beliefs and the rights of women everywhere. Jane Austen was a writer, defying the idea that women couldn’t be published. Joan of Arc was a hero, leading her country to victory. All these inspiring women changed the path of history and have, through their thoughts and actions, significantly impacted our world.

Beginning this year MSU’s 14th sorority hit the university and has been working hard to become a respectable representation of Greek life and become apart of the already positive image the Greek system stands for at Michigan State. As a proud founding sister of the newest sorority, Alpha Xi Delta Beta Theta chapter, I cannot express enough gratitude and appreciation for what this new sisterhood has already done for me.

Colonizing a sorority is very unique and exciting. We don’t have Bigs or older, more experienced sisters to guide us down this path but we have each other.  This opportunity we have been blessed with allows us to begin our own Greek families, create a lasting legacy at Michigan State, and lay the foundation for our wonderful sorority. Thankfully, we have also graciously been blessed with wonderful Alpha Xi Delta staff members like Allison Davies, Hollie Amato, Brittany Hartory, Shelby Young, and so many more brilliant women that have become our mentors, taught us the values of Alpha Xi Delta, and led us to where we are today.

It’s been quite the experience understanding how everything works and learning how amazing Greek life is. Going through this process with all my incredible sisters has allowed me to truly adore and appreciate the meaning of sisterhood. I have a twin brother so I didn’t grow up with sisters, but now having over 130 unbelievable sisters has been like reading the Harry Potter series for the first time. It’s exciting, epic, and overall an experience of a life time that you can’t help falling in love with from the start. I have been able to appreciate becoming a part of something significantly bigger than me with so much history, and most of all, I have found a home here at Michigan State.

If I could sit down with Joan of Arc, Jane Austen, and or Susan B. Anthony, I feel like these commendable women would be proud of Alpha Xi Delta Beta Theta chapter. Our group of women has shaped a path for many wonderful Spartans to follow and become apart of. Colonizing AXiD and being the new girls on campus is an honor that not many women can say they have ever faced.

It has been a phenomenal journey so far and getting to know all of my sisters has been the best experience I could of asked for when I went through recruitment with Alpha Xi Delta. Being the new girl on campus will fade as we continue our adventure here, but AXiD is here to stay.  Susan B. Anthony was a fighter, Jane Austen was a writer, and Joan of Arc was a hero. Well, I can proudly say I am an Alpha Xi Delta and that is my identifier.