To The Dorm That Wasn't What I Expected, But Was Everything I Needed

Cheers to calling you home for the year!

49
Briana Gagnon

Wow, you're nothing like I imagined but everything I could have wanted.

With your walls once bare and bland, you're now on the road to being covered in decor that screams "me."

Moving in was certainly insane, but your walls have probably seen it all. Carrying box after box up three flights of stairs is something I hope to never experience again. Having a basement room as a freshman certainly was a blessing, as well as having elevators. Step after step all I wanted to do was just lie there and give up.

Thank goodness I got there early enough, it wasn't like I was going to sleep in anyway — I was way too excited to finally be going back to my home, URI! We didn't even know where to start, let alone how the room would be arranged. By and by, we figured it all out, and now you're absolutely perfect.

You have no idea how crazy my roomie and I are, so be prepared for anything. Your floors will be home to visiting best friends, or just me lying around with fists full of chips or Oreos. Those hot lingering summer days will call for ice cream, and of course many trips to Dunkin, because hello, Rhody runs on the stuff.

Living with my best friend means you will be filled with laughs. Loud obnoxious ones that will probably carry throughout the entire suite. We're going to fill you with screams come Halloween (mostly from me) when we binge watch scary movies and see who takes the longest (more like shortest) amount of time to get scared.

You'll have my tears, whether from happiness or sadness, splattered on your floor. My hopes, dreams, and goals will be embedded in you. I've got a big heart and an even bigger drive to make myself the best version of me as I can. You'll experience me during rush week, and whatever ups and downs (mostly ups I hope) that come with it.

Late night studying will happen more than it should, as well as some failures I don't expect nor want.

This is my year. You will watch me grow from a teenager to an adult, which scares me more than anything. My full schedule of classes will keep me on my toes, and I hope to become the woman I've always wanted to be, with my best friends by my side. Will my love life blossom under your low, bright ceiling? Only time will tell.

I have everything I could ever need, and nothing that I don't.

I hope you always keep me safe from harm, shelter me from cold poeple and even colder winter days. Let the sunlight shine through your windows and onto my pale skin. May our days together be the best days of my life, and I can't wait to begin this next chapter of my life as a college sophomore with you.