6 Things You Should Never Tell Someone With A Mental Illness

6 Things You Should Never Tell Someone With a Mental Illness

Please don't micromanage my illness.

87
rawpixel

Thanks to the rise of social media, people are more than ever transparent in their struggles. That is, if they choose to share about them. Some people who struggle with mental illness, in particular, hesitate to share because they want their audience to neither micromanage their illness or think less of them. They don't like thinking that people will judge them (and judge them poorly) based on a diagnosis that is meant more for the medical community to understand.

But here's the thing; we need to start changing how we talk about mental illness in our personal community. These common six things people say may not be overtly microaggressive, but to the person who is sharing their struggle, it's frustrating because their audience seems to have already jumped to conclusions about their health. These six statements perpetuate the myth of mental illness - that it is totally elusive and never to be fully understood.

1. "But you don't LOOK sick."

This statement is one of the most common ones people hear. The people who tend to say this are most likely saying this to assuage the sharer; "I think you're normal," they're trying to say. Yet it does the opposite; the sharer doesn't feel validated about their emotions and experience and becomes offended. Instead, try asking about what their mental illness looks like to them. It will start a conversation about self-worth and esteem and will help both of you understand what you want from each other.

2. "You just need to pray to God."

This statement totally disregards the sharer's spiritual beliefs. It totally encroaches on their personal boundaries when you tell them this, as their spiritual walk is determined by them and not you. Instead, ask them how they feel about sharing their struggles with a higher power - and if they don't want to talk about their spirituality, that's okay. It's not up to you to convert the sharer or make them believe.

3. "You just need to sleep well and exercise."

Or anything else that indicates healthy living. It's not that the sharer isn't taking care of themselves; it's that they don't have the motivation or desire to do so. When you tell them this statement, they are taking it as a command and will become offended. Instead, ask them if they need help in taking care of themselves and offer whatever help they may need. Some may need help with laundry; others may not want to even consider your offer. Whatever their reaction, be mindful that it is ultimately their decision as to how much help they need and want for themselves.

4. "You're not really Bipolar. You're [something else]."

This (and the following two statements) have to be the worst statements in history to tell the sharer. If you are not a medical professional, your diagnosis should not mean anything to them. If you have a suspicion that it could be something else, ask them if they have received any second opinions instead. The mission with mental illness is to make the journey with it as manageable as possible for everyone involved. Don't make your denial their denial; then they will never recover.

5. "This is what is actually wrong with you."

I'm assuming that the sharer is disclosing their mental illness to you out of trust. And if so, you are not in the position to tell the sharer their flaws. In most cases, this will only upset them and hurt your relationship with them. It is okay to express doubt - but never directly point it towards them. They are not on trial for their mental illness. In fact, they have done nothing wrong.

6. "Your treatment plan is completely wrong."

Again... are you on their treatment team? Are you a medical professional? There's a difference between a treatment team and support system. A treatment team is one composed of doctors and therapists supporting your sharer's case while in the hospital, and a support system is comprised of everyone that encourages the sharer to be happy and live their best life. Chances are, they want you to be in their support system because they feel they can trust you. By indicating that their treatment plan is wrong, you're showing that you don't trust the professionals on the sharer's team. If that's the case, ask if you both can have a therapy appointment together to go over what the treatment plan is and if it is working.

Mental illness can be understood if you recognize the importance of your words, not just to people struggling with it but in general. By understanding that you are merely an observer/listener to the sharer and their story, you can also understand how you affect them and what you can do to help them. You don't have to treat them like they are chronically ill. After all, they are as human as you are.