It’s Never A Goodbye With Your Long-Distance Loved One, It’s A See You Soon

The time you spend apart makes your time together even more precious.

345

I've always heard the saying "distance makes the heart grow fonder" but I never truly understood how distance could make you appreciate someone more or strengthen your affection for them. Over the past year and a half, I have not only come to understand this saying but have found it to be a relevant piece of advice in life itself.

I met my boyfriend and best friend a year and a half ago at college down in Virginia. Getting to experience college and make memories together is something that I cherish and will always be grateful for. When we first started dating and I mentioned that I was from Massachusetts, and knowing that he was from Virginia, I was curious to see how we would handle college breaks and summer vacations being 518 miles apart.

After spending three holiday breaks and two summer vacations apart, I've had to say the dreaded goodbye a handful of times when I've headed back to Massachusetts. Saying goodbye is never easy, even if it's only for a week. You spend so much time with someone and are so used to being around them, and then all of a sudden you're not for a little while and it feels so weird. It's a shock to the system. But what I've learned is that even though saying goodbye is hard, especially knowing you won't see your loved one for weeks or even months, you have to remember that it's not truly a "goodbye." It's a "see you soon."

Every time I go back to Massachusetts, I procrastinate the feeling of having to say goodbye, but I know I will be back shortly and see my best friend again. Leaving with a positive mindset knowing that you'll see your loved one again is the only way you can prepare for spending a long time apart. And that time apart makes being together even more precious.

After being apart for weeks at a time, I can't help but come back to this saying, "distance makes the heart grow fonder." It's honestly true when you spend time hundreds of miles away from your significant other. You think about them constantly and all of the late night hour-long phone calls, Facetimes, and text messages are all worth it knowing that you'll be reunited again soon.

This past month while I was abroad in London, I was 4, 727 miles away from my boyfriend who I am so used to being by my side and talking to all the time. Being so far away from him with limited communication reminded me of how special it is when I do get to see him and spend time with him. It makes me appreciate our time together even more. Being apart makes it all the more worth it when you do get to see your loved ones again and you get those little butterflies of excitement.

So to everyone who hates goodbyes as much as I do, hang in there! All you can do is think of it as a "see you soon."